The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Girl power is back > Comments

Girl power is back : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 2/9/2008

Governor Sarah Palin: exporting some fresh Alaskan air to Washington.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Runner,
She's not a breath of fresh air it's a whiff from the crypt or your breath blowing back in your face:-)

Guns? shooting wildlife for fun? pro oil exploration in pristine tundra? Pro war? telling other what they should think and believe? pro capital punishment? yep sounds 'right' to me.
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 11:36:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We'll see how long she lasts. If a near-worst-case scenario sees this person ascend to the office of VPOTUS, I'll be praying hard that McCain lasts his entire term.

Obama had about 80,000 people listening to him in Denver, at his acceptance speech. The media commentators asked their rhetorical question: Was he preaching to the converted? Well, plainly, except for some die-hard Clinton supporters who couldn't be heard boo-ing. What isn't so widely appreciated is that Obama's acceptance speech was watched on TV by 38 million Americans: America's largest TV audience so far this year.

If all 38 million are Obama converts, cultists, moonies and groupies, then I expect he will certainly get in - unless the current administration's political machines resort very energetically to reducing the numbers of polling booths in suboptimal electorates, and re-jigging the works in the voting machines, and putting out nation-wide all-points bulletins on the prospective felons who haven't paid their parking fines recently.

I'm praying those things won't happen, like they have in the previous two elections.

If the world gets Sarah for VP, and John kicks the bucket, we have a very fresh face in global foreign policy, to put it charitably. I can see the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists moving up to one-and-a-half minutes to midnight.

Maybe the voting rapturists will
get her over the wire,
in a fair-fought election - - - -
Posted by Sir Vivor, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 12:13:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I was at the snow last week I ovrheard a loud american (are there any other kind) say that New York City had cleaned up because the rich people lived in the city and the crime had migrated to the suburbs. He said rich people voted Republican.

So even though Obama might have more vision (like Kevin07) many poor whites will not vote for a black man so I think we are stuck with McCain & Palin who look very photogenic together.

Palin is a fright, her reward for coming runner up in Miss Alaska pageant was a scholarship to a college in Hawaii. She sacked the police commissioner and chief librarian for not supporting her in the mayoral race. She had her ex-brother-in-law fired. She continued with her fifth pregnancy knowing it was Downes syndrome flying from Idaho to Alaska while she was in labour, then back to work 3 days later leaving it in the care of the 17 year old daughter who we now know is pregnant. Surprisingly for the mother of teenage girls she is against abortion and contraceptive education in schools. More surprising given her Downes Syndrome infant she believes that the family should pay all their own health costs. Pity that poor girl and that baby!
Posted by billie, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 12:29:43 PM
What I find particularly vexatious is the idea that Palin will pull in votes from those who supported Hilary.

WHAT-THA!?

OK.

I will say this slowly.

Hilary is a DEMOCRAT.

Palin is a REPUBLICAN.

And a very conservative, evangelistic REPUBLICAN at that.

The only voters Palin will attract are other conservative, evangelistic REPUBLICANS. I cannot see how she would inspire those who have not yet made up their minds, given she is from the extreme right. These people would more likely vote McCain if they can't handle the idea of a black President, I can only imagine that his choice of VP would give them considerable pause for thought.

The man is an unhealthy 72 and the thought of this Palin stepping into the shoes of the most powerful person in the USA, is the stuff of nightmares.

And the hope that this is enough for Obama to win the presidency.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 2:02:02 PM
Fractelle, I wondered about that point as well. I suspect that there will be a small number who will vote based on gender and the idea of a female VP (with the possibility of a female President) may be more important than policy. Others will vote based on race - some votes will go to Obama because he is coloured and others against him for the same reason.

I guess some will have a difficult time weighing up which bothers them more, a coloured president or the possibility of a female president. Will Obama pick up votes from religious conservatives who could not cope with the possibility of a female being in charge?

No doubt the number crunchers in the parties have spent time on all those possibilities.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 2:20:02 PM
What a comedy of errors it all seems to be.

Not that I care, but there is strong circumstantial evidence to suggest that her last child was actually borne by her 16 yo daughter:

http://mparent7777-1.livejournal.com/1515044.html

Flow chart (to make it really simple):
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=132&topic_id=6855834

The baby search at Mat-Su hospital doesn't list Trig Palin (born April 18)
http://www.matsuregional.com/nursery/nursery_name.php?start=60&step=30&count=506

Hmmmmm......
http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/palins-spokesman-didnt-know-about.html

I think that according to the laws of their land, making a 16 yo pregnant is technically rape if the father is 18 or over. So you can see that there might be more to this than a simple face-saving exercise.

But how do we account for the choice of Sarah for VP, if America is so obsessed with a candidate's personal details?

http://cryptome.org/sarah-palin.htm

- unless the Republicans don't care any more, because they already have the theft of the next election in the bag.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 3:14:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy