The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My generation > Comments

My generation : Comments

By John Töns, published 2/9/2008

It seems there are those who believe that Baby Boomers have stayed beyond their use-by-date and expect them to shuffle quietly into the sunset.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Bennie reading your post all I can say is you seem to be suffering from the “Poor Me Syndrome”.

“It’s a matter of speculation how things would be today if credit fell off the back of a truck and landed at the feet of the BBGen, as happens now.”

I wonder how the newer generations would handle living with the threat of the Russian overthrow of Europe and the consequences of that?

I wonder how the newer generations would handle many domestic product prices being around 100% higher than they are today (relative to incomes)?

I suppose you will be complaining someone has watered down your beer, when all trhat is happening is the glass is collecting your own tears.

“But relax. Firstly you’ll get to enjoy watching the inevitable comeuppance from a position of security; and secondly it’s what drives the ASX to ever-increasing heights, carrying your super with it.”

I wonder how many of the newer generation remember the share market collapse of 1987?

I wonder how many remember the oil crisis of 1973?

“AGW is another kettle of fish altogether. What did the BBGen believe in? The idea of an immutable planet and unlimited natural resources is fortunately waning”

In terms of AGW, I believe in what can be proved. I do not believe in applying a nebulus theory based on unspecific and dubious probability as the basis for restructuring the national economy.

It might suit your idea of the instant fix but some of us are old enough to have seen similar theories blow up in the past.

I only hope when the AA and AB generations come along, they have more respect for the experience of the X and Y generations than the X and Y generations have for BB’s.

Its like the old saying, we all know everything when teenagers.

Any X or Y generation who wants to swap with me?

They get to keep all I own and I get the years they have left, the only caveat, I get to remember what I already know.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 4 September 2008 3:49:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No fool like an old fool, as my grandmother is wont to say.
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 4 September 2008 3:55:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This all reminds me of that Monty Python skit "When ah were a lad..."

I'd take you up on your offer Col but as we all know youth is wasted on the young. It IS still a young person's world, isn't it? Unfortunately I'm not one of them.
Posted by bennie, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:31:16 AM
"So having laid the foundations for the 21st century lifestyle we are all of a sudden a problem?"

The great majority of boomers in no way deserve the above statement. The tiny majority of hard working, creative, entrepeneurial, and now rich boomers that do aren't the problem. The rest have taken, and will continue to take, a lot more from society than they'll ever contribute. And the reason it matters so much now is those same people, for the most part, have enough money and assets that they really shouldn't.
Posted by concord, Monday, 8 September 2008 12:21:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
con discord?
Posted by BAYGON, Monday, 8 September 2008 10:14:03 AM
Discord indeed! So you imagine that we should judge the efforts of an entire generation by those few who are good enough, fortunate enough, unscrupulous enough, or rugged enough to actually be what you deem 'successful'(meaning well-heeled)? And we should just cast the rest aside as being a burden on society (hey - I've earned that right)?
Wel, I agree - some of the successes by your standards have certainly set the stage for the 21st Century - your Bonds, Skases, and their ilk, who are not yet extinct in the Land of Oz, believe me, have certainly done that! And what a wobbly stage it is for the rest of us as a result!
And don't forget that all of those people you deem 'successful', meaning they've scraped up some moolah, were nothing without the support, loyalty, hard work and integrity of others who actually did their work for them, probably including you!
Me? I don't judge people by what they have - I judge by what they are!
Keep working, boy - I need your tax money to support my retirement in style! (Written on asbestos paper).
Posted by The Ghost, Monday, 8 September 2008 8:17:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy