The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My generation > Comments

My generation : Comments

By John Töns, published 2/9/2008

It seems there are those who believe that Baby Boomers have stayed beyond their use-by-date and expect them to shuffle quietly into the sunset.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ponder: Exquisitely put! How about offering that gem of a post as the text for Fathers' Day cards? The twist is that fathers will give to their kids. This could give Fathers' Day much deeper meaning. Well done!
Posted by crabsy, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 12:24:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The wealthiest, best educated and most mollycoddled generation in history. The era of infinite expansion, rampant consumerism and a devil-may-care approach to natural resources.

And still you mock those who inherit the debt.
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 12:24:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ouch! Being hit by wet lettuce can really leave a welt.

OK, my retorts:

VK3AUU => don't worry, it won't be long now, go towards the light.

examinator => you don't get my point and have mis-read what I said. Just re-read it a few times and you might "get it". Focus people!

... oh, and Ponder, just keep taking the blue pills ... relax!

Keep on ageing y'all.
Posted by tebbutt, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 12:53:00 PM
I'm a bit old to be a boomer, but I kind of feel a kindred spirit with them.

I'm from the generation where the smart tradesman manager, who had developed the process, patiently held the hand of the bright eyed X & Y graduate engineer, as we re-educated him, [not yet her] in the true facts of life. Sadly for many areas of endeavour, many of these old blokes have now gone. [Think hospital admin, before you squael]

I'm getting tied of the effort of keeping you kids in check, now. If you would please just stop comming to me, to bail you out of your money/industrial/personal problems, I would happily go on my mandatory drive around Oz, & fade into the background.

PS. I won't require any retirement support, if you just pay back half of your borrowings.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 1:35:09 PM
I do not get this idea of "getting old".

If the Who (a much underrated band) and all the other Sexagenarian old band members, have shown us anything, it is there is no such thing as growing old gracefully (although in Keith Moon's case growing old did not figure at all and in Pete Townsend's case, he seemed to be "recapturing his youth" literally, in some very strange ways).

Anyway, like a good many of the boomers, they made it without the inheritance, which many of the newer generations seem to take as an “expectation” and for whom the only thing which can be suggested is, if you want it, go and earn it.

Expect nothing as far as inheritance is concerned and not only will avoid disappointment but you will "grow" through the effort of being responsible for yourself and for carving out your own success in this competitive world.

tebbutt "Boomers as a statistical glitch, a wave of often flatulent, under-qualified, over-confident wind bags, thankfully now cresting and on their way to the same place we are all bound - the scrap heap of history."

Reads like someone is master-bating to me.

I wonder what your children will say about you... maybe, "if he worked as hard as his parents, he would have left some of what he inherited for us"....

As for under-qualified, over-confident… sounds like the wannabe X’s and Y’s who think a degree means they have the insight in all things.

The thing with this boomer, we have the experience and can see the recessions and booms coming before they happen. The X and Y seem so self centered, it is all about them and do not understand the value of boomer experience.

Conversely, Boomers never discounted the experience of their “Great Depression-changed” and “World War-changed” parents and grandparents.

One Boomer colleague of mine observed, he was among the last generation to obey his parents and the first to start to obey his children.

I never played it with my kids that way, hence they are self-sufficient and not inheritance hungry.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 2:43:49 PM
Ah this reminds me of those disgusting insurance adverts. Parents gleefully and spitefully 'spending their kids inheritence'. I always think, what makes them think their kids give a toss. All it shows is how angry and spiteful they are, that they are so gleeful in thinking they are hurting their children.

The whole advert expresses ugly baby boomers, and presumably ugly children who think they deserve some of their parents money, or else where does the parent's spite come from?

Any money left in your bank when you die is a waste. Try and spend it all and enjoy yourself. If you happen to over-estimate your needs and die young, your kids will be grateful for what's left, but I've never met anyone who is expecting there to be any left, or worried about how much their parents are spending.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Tuesday, 2 September 2008 4:54:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy