The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Activity is quiet on the sunspot front ... > Comments

Activity is quiet on the sunspot front ... : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 29/8/2008

Climate change sceptics and non sceptics agree on one thing at least: 2014-2015 are the years to watch.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. All
Here we go again! Like I have said before, the planet is in its natural changing pattern, and these events were going to happen anyway. The release of Co2 by human beings has just sped up the processes and no, you cant fix it! But we can reduce the number of people to lessen the impact that is to come.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Friday, 29 August 2008 1:23:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry? I'm supposed to be convinced by 8 years of data? You're going to have to try a little harder than that. Perhaps you could start by demonstrating whether or not the heat content of the oceans is going up or down as only 3% of the energy imbalance of AGW has been going into heating the atmosphere; or to put it another way cooling atmosphere does not necessarily equal cooling earth.
Posted by Davo101, Friday, 29 August 2008 1:23:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For all those who think that the tag "climate scientist" infers some infallibility should think again.
There are equally well credentialed scientists on both sides of the discussion and you can opinion shop for your favorite bias like you can shop for a legal opinion.
But since we are being asked to spend trillions of dollars globally to reduce the amount of CO2e's, I think that we have every right to question the THEORIES of any scientist, climatic or otherwise.
And I do accept that climate has changed and is changing as it has always done.
Posted by Little Brother, Friday, 29 August 2008 5:31:19 PM
Little Brother: "For all those who think that the tag "climate scientist" infers some infallibility should think again."

That's a silly strawman argument, so we'll move on.

"There are equally well credentialed scientists on both sides of the discussion and you can opinion shop for your favorite bias like you can shop for a legal opinion." [sic]

So go and look at the peer-reviewed climate science journals such as Climatic Change and do your "shopping". That is where the discussion of climate science by climate scientists is going on after all. There are no more articles there denying human-caused climate change than there are article claiming that the earth is flat in the geoscience journals.

Here - see for yourself - the abstracts are free:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/100247/

Some of the full articles are free also. Once you are finished, come back and tell us how many deniers you saw.

Online Opinion probably thinks it is being 'fair' by giving deniers so much air time. If you applied that logic then we should be seeing articles by Flat Earthers all over OLO. Seriously - these people exists and even have a society. Their argument use much the same language as climate change deniers to try to undermine mainstream science and say it is all part of a big conspiracy.
Posted by Sams, Friday, 29 August 2008 8:47:38 PM
I love the way 100 years of record is touted as the "long term average"! What a joke. The present geological epoch, the Holocene is 10,000 years in duration. There's no conclusive proof that CO2 from human sources causes global warming, and how is the recent (since 1998) levelling and/or cooling trends explained?

I also love the way one "scorching summer" (I remember many such while growing up in western Sydney) suggests global warming while record cold temperatures in southwestern WA (including an all-time low for WA in August), northern NSW and other places in Australia are ignored.
Posted by viking13, Friday, 29 August 2008 9:38:10 PM
I think the whole scientific community should follow the famous advice given by Hollywood producer Sam Warner, who said:

"Never make forecasts, particularly about the future".
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 30 August 2008 8:05:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy