The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The truth of the Christian story > Comments

The truth of the Christian story : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/8/2008

The replacement of the Christian story with that of natural science has been a disaster for the spiritual and the existential.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 50
  9. 51
  10. 52
  11. All
I know i should know better, but Runner! Seriously mate! what is wrong with you? Evolution is a religion! lol! if so,

where is our god?

EVO
Posted by EVO, Friday, 29 August 2008 11:54:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sellick writes, "The Bible contains...stories that were included because when read they produced that tug of recognition, yes, life is like that, now I understand what it is to be a human being in all its trial and joy, life and death. Such an experience is an experience of God".

Such an experience is an experience of good fiction writing. The same qualities apply to the Torah, or Koran, or Shakespeare, or a season of Seinfeld. You can't just say "these stories ring true, therefore we are obliged to swallow the primitive supernatural nonsense attached to them."
Posted by Sancho, Friday, 29 August 2008 11:55:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent essay, Peter.
Posted by Jamie Simpson, Friday, 29 August 2008 12:07:18 PM
Sellick's obviously still expending many words and much mental energy trying to reconcile his faith in mumbo-jumbo with his scentific training.

Unfortunately for him, it's still not working.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 29 August 2008 12:14:42 PM
Sellick is certianly right that you need imagination to read the bible, but he fails to accept that religious doctrine doesn't really want too much imagination because it usualy leads to the questioning of the doctrine, splitting of religious sects, and a general dissatifaction with rigid rules.

Spirituality is a good thing, but organised religion far too often becomes a business with a dictator at its head. Sad but true.

In my opinion, there is certainly no need to have religion to have a spiritual and fullfilling life.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Friday, 29 August 2008 1:26:31 PM
Peter's words :"Augustine said that if he were not moved by the scriptures he would not give them authority. In other words simply to read the scriptures with an open mind and heart is to feel their pull of truth. Thus the authority of biblical texts does not rely on the idea that they are the dictated words of God but on our experience of them."

I completely agree with Peter except for me it was Harry Potter that moved me and caused me to give bestow authority on it. I was a Muggle, blind to the truth. I now see witches and wizards everywhere and, although I can see no evidence that my spell making is working I am sure that with enough blind faith it will all come together soon. I realize that Harry Potter was not dictated by a God but at least I know who it was dictated by which is more that Augustine could claim.
Yes Harry Potter has the "pull of truth", it gives my life meaning. If it wasn't for Harry I may as well just lie in a nice warm bath a start hacking. Stuff science mate....Harry is the way to go!
Posted by Priscillian, Friday, 29 August 2008 1:41:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 50
  9. 51
  10. 52
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy