The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Getting serious about zero > Comments

Getting serious about zero : Comments

By Tilman Ruff, published 30/7/2008

There is much that Australia can do to help create a world free of nuclear weapons.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Please find extracts from a commentary by Professor Monbiot.

The UN Security Council has suggested to Iran that a promise from it to not go militarily nuclear could bring about a Middle-East free of nuclear destruction.

However none of the UN countries demanding finis’ to Iran’s possible plans for nuclear weaponry' have talked about asking Israel to destroy the 80 atomic warheads it now possesses.

Israel’s nukist position has also caused the UK to change its mind about its own NP promises, preferring to prepare itself with both America, and even Europeans to even make preemptive strikes.

So much easily it will be right now for Russia and China to press truly to try for the nuclear lead.

According to Professor Monbiot, the danger has been more heightened by Condoleeza Rice’s demand that other countries accept her plan to abide by NPT (27,28). The Treaty which grants to countries which conform to 27/28, the allowance for materials for nuclear power on favourable terms. But Monbiot regards this as a flawed incentive, the resultant spread of just civil nuclear programmes still making the spread of atomic military power much more likely.

Further, it is also Condoleeza Rice who insists that India should now have access to US nuclear materials, despite the fact that India’s militarist nuclear venture is still illegal – all for the sake of a few million dollars of US export orders, as Monbiot expresses.

Certainly over the years it is political scientists like Monbiot and Kissinger who have had the insight to purport how wrongful historical moves or halts by people in high places like the US shutting its mind to little Israel going nukisto way back, and even now letting Condoleeza Rice try to singly manage the more dangerous world politics rather than the UN?

Regards, BB, Buntine, WA
Posted by bushbred, Saturday, 9 August 2008 12:14:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MAREE LORRAINE, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 12:12:50 PM

Your claim that there is not much we can do about nuclear issues.

On the contrary I believe there is a lot we as a country could have done and can still do if we have the mind and the strength of character.

We could serve as a role model and use whatever influence we have on the international stage to stop further nuclear proliferation.

Howard’s government, influenced by vested interests and the USA I believe sold out Australia. His enthusiasm and support from the mining interests made him anxious to sell "yellow cake" and serves as a prime example.

It reminds of the story of the Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who handed Jesus over to the Pharisees. Knowing Jesus was innocent he then asked for a bowl of water, washing and wringing his hands disclaimed responsibility for what happened.

Selling "yellow cake" to other countries lets the control of its use go to someone else and little Johnny Howard can then claim it was not his fault it was misused, he only sold the "yellow Cake".

Sorry I do not accept that excuse. His government is the primary supplier of a product that knowingly would be used for nuclear purposes; hence his and any other government accept responsibility for any misuse.

We have seen many examples of the horrors caused by the nuclear bombs and the damage to health and the environment through aging nuclear facilities.

Let Australia lead the world by example showing that greed is not going corrupt Australia. Hand back government to the people.
Posted by professor-au, Sunday, 10 August 2008 2:00:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gibo,

I note that you are currently on line while I type this. It's actually good to see you back, and I hope that you will entertain us again with some of your views, extreme though they are.

God has spoken to me through Romans 14. I suggest you read this and respond. I found that the main theme of this Chapter is that Christians sometimes have to agree to disagree. That doesn't mean we can't have a debate on any issue, that's what OLO is all about.
Posted by Steel Mann, Monday, 25 August 2008 3:02:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy