The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The abuse of innocence > Comments

The abuse of innocence : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 5/8/2008

Parents ought to do more to protect their children by kicking their alcohol, drug and gambling habits.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Thanks for another interesting article Stephen.

I too support the strategies you listed from the Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC).

I agree with you that "we all need to be vigilant and not be frightened to report to police obvious signs of child neglect". But I would add abuse to neglect.

And I agree with you when you say: "But above all parents ought to do more to protect their children by kicking their alcohol, drug or gambling habits and by insisting their partners address their habits or be brave enough to give them their marching orders."

But what have we learned from the experiences of the past 40-50 years?

Two things stand out for me.

1. While Indigenous families get the bulk of the publicity on these matters, there are many non-Indigenous families where child abuse and neglect continue and the symptoms are very similar. It may be that the causes are similar too - especially poverty and endemic unemployment leading to alcohol and drug abuse - although the historical roots may be significantly different.

2. While removal of the vulnerable child must occur in some obvious cases, that should not ever become the norm as it once was. The results are often catastrophic - sometimes the 'cure' is worse than the 'complaint' in the long term. If the child is taken away, we have shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. And may have created a whole new cluster of problems for the children.

Much more should be done to work with and strengthen families and communities as part of a preventative strategy. I wonder how much attention the Government has given to the SNAICC recommendations? And what level of resources they have committed?
Posted by Spikey, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 10:08:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for acknowledging that most workers remove children for their wellbeing. Yes, mistakes do happen but the process quickly reveals these errors. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, removing children is always a last resort. Removing a child leads to a much heavier work load for the case worker. It is much easier to be blind to the abuse taking place. Argument could be made that children are left too long without action being taken.

It is my experience that police etc. are used only where it is considered necessary to alleviate trauma to the children involved. Where drugs or mental illness is involved, it is generally the case that the parents do love the children but the parent's behavior places the children at risk.

False notifications by neighbors, friends or family do not lead to children being removed as every case is placed before a court where investigative evidence is needed. What false notifications do is make it much harder for any system and workers to protect children. Unfortunately only time wasting involvement by workers can prove these notifications false.

This leaves genuine cases of abuse harder to find. It is also not fair to the innocence family being investigated as no investigation can be made without invading the family's privacy and without leaving some doubt. Unnecessary investigations make the parents job much harder and leaves distrust of all involved. I believe that more study needs to be done of people who make false or exaggerated notifications, as these are in themselves child abuse. There are many cases that I believe there should be legal action against. False notifications in my experience are never to protect the child. They are to get even with the parent

Remember there are many forms of parenting, that suits different parents and their children. One thing there is not, is perfect parents as parents are only human beings.

What is important is that parenting methods do not abuse or put the child at risk.
Posted by Flo, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 10:25:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Flo

Things must have changed in the child removal business since my day.

I challenge you on the claim that "removing children is always a last resort". I know of too many contrary cases, including my own.

I challenge you on your claim that "police etc. are used only where it is considered necessary to alleviate trauma to the children involved".

As for police "alleviating trauma" you've got to be kidding. Police removed me and my brothers many years ago and we are still suffering from the trauma of being dragged out by men in blue.

I challenge you on your account that "every case is placed before a court where investigative evidence is needed". In my own case the police gave false evidence after the most perfunctory 'investigation' (ask the local gossip, she'll know). The magistrate made no attempt to ascertain whether there was any contrary evidence. My father was away in the Army and wasn't even notified that we were taken. The police said he had deserted us and they didn't know where he was. In the same report they quoted his Army record number!

It took my parents more than ten years to get us free. We bear the emotional and other scars still.
Posted by Spikey, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 10:47:15 AM
Sorry Spikey,if I have upset you. I can only go by my own experiences in the 1990's. In NSW if you remove a child, application must be made to the Children's Court as soon as possible. That is in a number of hours. It is the Court that decides the child's future, not police or child care workers.

I am interested in what period of time you are talking about.

It was my experience that I and the people I worked with, only to use the police if violence was expected. Only in one case did I have to call the police during a removal. Believe me it is not pretty dealing with a woman suffering from extreme mental illness, trying to remove her child from her arms. This baby was so much at risk, that the option of leaving her any longer was impossible. This mother loved all her children but refused to take the medical treatment that gave her the ability to care for her children.

I found that most police today have been given training in how to assist in removal of children. It is sad that even the police presence does not always keep the situation calm.

I am terribly sorry for your hurt but would like to see people who have suffered under the system in the past to make some attempt to ensure the system is better today. You have had important experiences that could help children at risk. I am retired but we all know that many crimes were committed in the name of saving children, both black and white.

It is not fair to judge todays efforts by your past experiences. The present day system is far from perfect. We are dealing with humans not saints. It is a fact that today too many children are being abused and harmed, mainly by the people who should be their protectors.
Posted by Flo, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 11:38:38 AM
Stephen thanks for a thoughtful piece.

I was listening to coverage on missing persons on monday on the Today Show, this week is missing persons week.

Mick Keelty (AFP) made the point that the bulk of missing persons in Australia are youths and the bulk of those have disappeared from homes where they are in the care of people other than their natural parents (I may have the phrasing wrong).

The home page for this years Missing Persons Week is at
http://www.afp.gov.au/national/missing/national_missing_persons_week.html

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 6:02:56 PM
Now hang on, who is audience for this piece?
Is it Aboriginal people? I don't think it is at all.
As such I think SH is either very confused or just doing the usual self promotion - or both. Poor Fulla.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 5 August 2008 8:55:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy