The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Indonesia - a little bit of Arabia in the Indian Ocean > Comments

Indonesia - a little bit of Arabia in the Indian Ocean : Comments

By Melody Kemp, published 25/7/2008

With money pouring in from Wahabiist Saudi Arabia, the Islamist PKS (Prosperous Justice Party) is exerting enormous leverage among the poor in Indonesia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Indonesia's urban elite may worry about peripherals such as who's going to be next wearing a veil, but the real issue confronting Indonesians as a whole is that their government is dysfunctional. That's what needs to be fixed (by Indonesians: no one else.)

It is no surprise that Islamist parties are making inroads into the political system when the secular parties have merely instituionalised preference and privilege and the bribe economy.

Neither is there is anything necessarily wrong with such a process. It is for Indonesians as a whole to decide whether their choices will lead them further into the 'modern' world.

A great many of them don't actually want to go there, by the way. They seek - quite naturally - to build on their own traditional societies (plural: 'Indonesian-ness' is largely a myth except at the conceptual level) and live better but as they always have. Not unlike the ethos of the National Party in Australia, incidentally, and with the same hand-out mentality.
Posted by Scribe, Monday, 28 July 2008 12:48:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Several things stand out in your comments:

The reflexive response to Islam, instead of reaction to the wider issue of the hijacking of a nation by a fanatical group. Imagine Australia taken over by Right To Lifers funded by the Vatican and puritan US groups. That, not Islam, is the story.

Such a takeover by RTL would indicate, as it does in Indonesia, a failure of the major parties to govern for all, a failure of credibility. Indonesia has failed its people, serving the wealthy, overseas investors and the military.

Being able to speak indonesian enabled me to capture the rage and hoplessness.

No commentators identified the complicity of the west as a source of concern. Western governments with an eye to the main chance have supported endless corrupt and crippling regimes. Soeharto was among the worst, SBY and Megawati the most incompetant. Megawati is backed by a rapacious husband. The other contenders are merely evil.

Soeharto franchised Indonesia while the west, including Keating praised him. He killed millions and stole billions. He ruined minds and futures by lousy education education; and yet was feted as he had oil, gas, timber, gold and cheap buyable labour.. Now these resoures are expiring, the west is only interested in controlling the 'terrorist risk' arising from such blatant and colonial exploitation.

Like Christanity Islam is not monolithic, and before our redneck friend responds like all igormauses do, and runs for the guns, be aware that Indonesians fear being inveaded by Australia.. that and the social chaos being threatened by the outcome of this election. That was the other major point of the story.

To rant about Islam will not help.. indeed it is a typically blind response that has led to the situation they are facing. Helping to ensure the judiciary is honest, the military restrained, income distributed fairly, corruption contained and all major perpetrators put on trial and people like Bakrie the Minister for Peoples Welfare is brought to trial for crimes against humanity, might be a good start and show Indonesians that Australians are not merely self interested boorish neighbours.
Posted by melody, Monday, 28 July 2008 8:31:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Melody,

Why is it that Muslims and Western liberals are always telling us that it is a small group of "radicals" that are hijacking Islam? It is always the West, Christianity, big business or globalization or bugs bunny, isn't it? The people of Indonesia are not responsible for anything, are they? And of course, Muslims are not responsible for the acts of terror, oppression and lack of human rights that characterize Islamic societies.

When I speak of Islam, it is not a "rant." I speak from experience based upon current events and knowledge of the Quran, hadith and early biographies of Islam's dear prophet. I don't like Islam because of the hate and violence. I don't like it because of what it does to men, women and children. I don't like how it treats others. I don't like the ignorance and deception of Muslims about their own doctrines and sacred writings. Oh yes, the fact that Muslims have threatened my family hasn't helped. Do you think I am wrong? The fact is that moderates and radicals both follow the same Quran and say "praise be unto him" after the name of a man that did so many vile things recorded in Islam's own writings. Why should I believe that anybody that says PBUH after the name of Mohammad wants peace and harmony? My only though is that you have not read the ahadith - yet we are called "igormauses."

Yes, things are bad in Islamic countries and they will continue to get worse because good Muslims are blind as to the nature of their problem, and so they are part of the problem. They are either ignorant or in denial about Islam. Whatever the West has done to hurt Indonesians, it is nothing compared to Mohammad and the liberals that blind them to the real issues.

Kactuz
PS: I have had dengue fever, too, and it wasn't fun.
Posted by kactuz, Tuesday, 29 July 2008 4:38:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Melody has a very limited, childlike view of things.
I saw no understanding of the great spirit war raging on in behind all that happens here on earth.
Yet Indonesia is so full of testimonies of evil spirit powers controlling the people...testimonies from the people.
Having rejected the Bible version of life on earth leaves one open and naked regarding just and truthful comment.
Little does she know about the fight between good and evil... or really care.
Her tirade against the Right to Lifers shows an allowance for murder in her heart.
That horrid, selfish character flaw some many young people have these days.
She forgets how good nations like the US had to balance things out as best they could against oppressive governments and the expansion of communism without going to open war against them.

As for the guns...there are none in the Defence cupboard.
And Indonesia has plans for Australia...not us for them...and they know it and have no fear of us invading to our north.
As part of the great global plan of Islam to consume all before it, Indonesia like China waits for the opportunity for a sudden change in the world military climate... to enact her plans.
She calls us SOUTH IRIAN...we call he nothing other than Indonesia.

Praise The Lord ...He saved me from Uni's.
I got the Bible Truth and not a whole bunch of disgusting humanist theory.
Posted by Gibo, Tuesday, 29 July 2008 7:57:13 AM
I suppose you love the cat and the dog and whales Melody... and your mum and your dad, who both let you live rather than blend you in an abortion... yet you are happy to support the murder of the unborn?

Isnt that schizophrenic?
Do you do drugs?

God was Gracious enough to support your parents decision to allow you into the world...why not be equally gracious and allow life without condemning under the satanic covering of "freedom of choice".
Posted by Gibo, Tuesday, 29 July 2008 8:52:18 AM
Gibo: << Melody has a very limited, childlike view of things.
I saw no understanding of the great spirit war raging on in behind all that happens here on earth. >>

Pot, meet kettle. Gibo's worldview could be straight out of the Chronicles of Narnia.

kactuz: << When I speak of Islam, it is not a "rant." >>

That may be kactuz's opinion, but I've never read anything from him that didn't qualify as an Islamophobic rant of the worst order.

Just as well idiots like Gibo and kactuz don't get anywhere near being able to influence Australia's foreign policy - or even ordinary Aussies who know a hateful fool when they see one.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 29 July 2008 8:57:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy