The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abandon preconceptions, all ye who enter here > Comments

Abandon preconceptions, all ye who enter here : Comments

By Mercurius Goldstein, published 11/7/2008

The reflections of an Aussie teacher in America.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Apart from my mistake with regard to Lehrer's given name (can't say it was a typo, I just get more forgetful as I get older), the fact that most of the comments on this post concern Tim and Jim Lehrer, and there is sure to be a Tom here somewhere, it seems that others have found difficulty in commenting on this post.
This is a pity, because I am sure the author has got a point - perhaps his carefully worded post is too carefully worded.
Posted by HarryG, Friday, 11 July 2008 10:05:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Mercurius for another insightful contribution - I am looking forward to further posts. The intelligent debate on Jim Lehrer's News Hour makes Kerry O'Brien's 'interviews' on the 7:30 report look idiotic.
However, despite all the weaknesses of our bureaucratic system, OECD comparisons in literacy and numeracy show Australians perform in the top five, while the USA lies around 15 among 30 nations. I would guess that the US system(s) leads to a wide disparity between schools in the quality of education rpovided and the challenge for us is how to create diversity but maintain quality.

Ian Keese
Posted by Ian K, Monday, 14 July 2008 10:22:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy