The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Feeding the world: GM is not the answer > Comments

Feeding the world: GM is not the answer : Comments

By Bob Phelps, published 24/6/2008

Aligning ourselves uncritically with US policy on Genetically Manipulated crops is not in Australia's interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
wozza, "I oppose GM crops because I support sustainable farming of my soils and pasture."

I would question on what basis you believe this, I haven't seen anyone claim potential damage to the soil, and after 10 years of growing GM cotton have seen no effect on soil. Obviously pasture is not desireable in a crop, so I can't comment on that but would wonder why you would expect an effect on it since you aren't using glyphosate on pasture anyway. The Bt gene(for insects) is from a soil bacterium in the first place.

Sometimes you wonder where organic producers are coming from, they don't use glyphosate(if they are genuine) so resistance really won't affect them. They can use Bt sprays, so concern from that repect is quite hollow.

The more I think about it GM is quite likely the only really sustainable way to farm, no relying on pesticides, perhaps work on nitrogen nodulation like legumes, alleopathy and drought genes. What's not to like about the future? You never know if you don't have a go.
Posted by rojo, Friday, 11 July 2008 5:41:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy