The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let's not forget the SIEV-X > Comments

Let's not forget the SIEV-X : Comments

By Susan Metcalfe, published 17/6/2008

'Hope', a documentary by Steve Thomas and Sue Brooks, is Amal Hassan Basry’s story - a survivor of the ill-fated SIEV-X.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
"...'And that we don't make the same mistakes again.'"

Seems we don't need an enquiry ... someones already decided we are at fault by virtue of our mistakemaking.

I've been to sea in a small boat. Unknown lights of non navigation type are a very frequent event ... sensing them as trouble I've always avoided them.
I wonder whether SIEV-X had navigation lights?
Posted by keith, Tuesday, 17 June 2008 12:46:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"..capitalizing on sentimentality for base political motives"?
What motives? The election is over so what is there to gain politically now?

How about letting people die needlessly for base political motives?

There is much more to tell about this incident and it shouldn't be allowed to fade away into obscurity.

I for one would like to know more about what really happened. If there's nothing to hide, then why not get it all out and over with.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 17 June 2008 1:19:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Siev-x,
When are people going to accept that it was an Indonesian vessel, it left an Indoneasian port and it sank in Indonesian waters. The conpiriosy theorists even tried to link it to a search for an Australian customs vessel missing off Cape York, saying it was in same area. Yeah, 3000 kls away!

The best one can say is that it was unfortunate and those that sailed on her took no notice of warnings, from us, that the trip was dangerous. Not to mention the overloading.

There is no relevance to Australia. Ask the Indonesians for an inquiry. Perhaps we should also have an inquiry into the last train smash in India or into the responce to an earthquake in Chile. Should we inquire into the plane crash in Indonesia? That has as much relevance. It was not and is not our responsibility.

Sure, it was a sad event but inless the Indoneasians act then move on.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 17 June 2008 9:24:06 PM
I for one would really like to know what actually happened, particularly the level of awareness or otherwise by Australian surveillance services of the location and status of the SIEV-X when it sank. Unless some sort of formal inquiry is reconvened, there will always be suspicions that Australian authorities stood by and let hundreds of men, women and children drown when they might have been in a position to rescue them - whether or not that was the case.

The callous inhumanity that some people display about this potentially shameful episode is truly appalling. As for this:

<< Article on Siev X -> ignore bin.

Reason: Attempted capitalizing on sentimentality for base political motives.

The End. >>

A truly callous and shameful expression of the most odious version of Christianity I've ever encountered. Is it possible to award Boazy a "Gold Boazy" for his outstanding hypocrisy with respect to Christ's teachings?

Jesus: "Let them drown. It's political"

Yeah right.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 17 June 2008 9:45:49 PM
Keith your humanity is startling. What a pity that you are so far off the mark it is a sick joke. DIMA and the AFP knew about this boat, who owned and they tracked it for 6 weeks before it sailed.

They were well aware that it had left Indonesia, was overloaded and in danger of sinking. The AFP warned the defence department and the people were loaded at gun point by the INP with weapons given to them by the AFP.

Your heartless response reminds me that while Amal was clinging to that dead body to survive the AWB were giving hundreds of millions to Saddam Hussein.

Tell us all Keith, do you even have a sense of decency anywhere in your body.

I will be seeing the film on Thursday and I am recommending it to anyone.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 17 June 2008 11:06:23 PM
So Marilyn

'''"...'And that we don't make the same mistakes again.'"

Seems we don't need an enquiry ... someones already decided we are at fault by virtue of our mistakemaking.

I've been to sea in a small boat. Unknown lights of non navigation type are a very frequent event ... sensing them as trouble I've always avoided them.
I wonder whether SIEV-X had navigation lights?'''

Where in this comment is my heartlessness?

Marilyn you are sometimes extreme in your slandering of people who don't share your jaundiced view of everything Australian.

Your excusing the irresponsibilty of the so-called adults in putting themselves and their children in harms way by undertaking suspect and deceiptful means to attain their ends is absolutely disgraceful.

Where is your human decency? Why don't you condemn them? Where is the decency in excusing that and blaming me and Australia for their own stupidity?

It seems you are another of those that doesn't need an enquiry. Australia to you is not just guilty of mistakemaking but complicit in the boarding, overcrowding and sinking of an unseaworthy craft.

Grow up Marilyn ...
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 18 June 2008 8:56:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy