The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cycling is a healthy transport solution > Comments

Cycling is a healthy transport solution : Comments

By Chris Rissel, published 5/6/2008

Riding a bicycle to work could be a solution to concerns about rising petrol prices and expanding waistlines.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Dear Chris, I have been bicycle commuting for 3 years, a distance of 2 kms each way. Here it's legal to share the footpath with pedestrians provided you give way, except where a pedestrian crosses the footpath when they're supposed to give way, but don't. I ride on footpaths when I don't feel safe on roads - where there's heavy traffic and no cycle lane or an inadequate one. Pedestrians are not accustomed to sharing the footpath with cyclists. Most wander all over the place without checking who's coming from behind, listening to ipods; or walk in the middle, two or three abreast as if cyclists have no right. Few pedestrians keep left so a cyclist can pass or even seem aware of the possiblity. I have several times been abused by male pedestrians as if I had no right to be on the footpath. On the roads too, many motorists act like cyclists have no right to be there. Scariest are open highways where cars travelling at high speed are reluctant to give a wide berth, resulting in deaths of several cyclists here. I would prefer to commute via a cycle path that is separate from cars. I have a good quality mountain bike that I don't want to lose or have damaged. I asked at work for secure bike parking. The result is a bike rack in an insecure outdoor area which I don't use. Instead I bring my bike into the office, giving rise to complaints about OH&S issues or taking up needed office space. One anonymous party has even moved furniture to block the space where I was parking my bike; and moved it back repeatedly whenever I moved it out of the way. For the above reasons, including the relatively short distance to work, I have been finding lately that it's a lot less hassle to walk. I would rather cycle and look forward to the day when government authorities and the general public respect and make adequate provision for cyclists, given the all round positive benefits.
Posted by JanF, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 1:08:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy