The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Myth busting > Comments

Myth busting : Comments

By Bren Carlill, published 10/6/2008

Israel did not replace or destroy any country and did not prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
fungus

I have made relatively few assertions. You are the one who has continually criticised Israel quoting some bodgy sources to support you. I will let you do your own research. I bet you won´t.

I am mainly trying to neutralise the anti-Israel message that you an7d Keith are putting forward. No other country, however bad has to face the barrage that you two (and some others)apply.
Posted by logic, Saturday, 21 June 2008 5:14:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fungus

>> “ In regards to the forty unrecognised Palestinian Arab Israeli villages … you can find all of those claims in sources I cited earlier. Same with .. Arab Israelis who don't serve the Israeli military.”

It’s your job, if you want us to accept something you say, to provide references for your claims. Further, I pointed out to you that you were wrong in suggesting that Israel bans Palestinian Arabs from serving in the defence forces. They can do so if they wish. I have no problem with giving preferential treatment to those who serve their country. Especially in a country a small as Israel, locked into ongoing war, service should have some benefits. In this country there are a lot of benefits to serving in the defence forces, which aren’t available to the general public.

>> “ Paul.L, you say that I am hypocritical and make out that Israel is worse than "other liberal democracies"”

I didn’t say you ‘said’ Israel was worse, I said you make that out by your behavior. The amount of OLO time you allocate to criticizing Israel would lead any normal person to believe you felt Israel was somehow worse. If I’m wrong and you really don’t think Israel is any worse than the rest of the western world, how do you explain the amount of time/space you devote to attacking it? Your last 10 posts have all been about Israel.

No-one defending Israel here on OLO believes it is perfect. I acknowledge that there are some things Israel could do better. However there are two qualifications to this. First, Israel is a country AT WAR, its very existence regularly threatened. Secondly, Israel’s enemies hide within/behind that portion of the community you claim are being discriminated against. These two factors make it much more difficult to recreate a model society in the manner you demand. And since few western countries, in the midst of their expanding wealth and peace/stability at home, can achieve this desired perfection, I find it somewhat unfair of you to single out Israel for this kind of criticism.
Posted by Paul.L, Sunday, 22 June 2008 3:27:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul.L, I did not say that Israel bans Palestinian Arabs Israelis from performing in the military. I said that Palestinian Arabs Israelis who do not perform in the military do not get the associated benefits, while Yeshiva Jewish Israelis who do not perform in the military do get them. Also, the Pax Christi International source that I cited earier actually says that, with the exception of Druze, Palestinian Arab Israelis "cannot perform military service".

You ask why my posts here have been about Israel. That's because this thread is about Israel.
Posted by fungus, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 11:08:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy