The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Afghanistan: why a withdrawal of troops > Comments

Afghanistan: why a withdrawal of troops : Comments

By Marlene Obeid, published 6/6/2008

The anti-war movement must step up its campaign for the immediate withdrawal of all troops from Afghanistan.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I wonder if all these people who scream & demonstrate for the withdrawal of NATO Forces from anywhere in the world have equally demonstrated against the Teleban & Al Queada when they commit atrocity & kill innocent people. I think not. They only demonsrate against the West.

With that in mind. It leads me to think that these people are in favour of the atrocities commited by these terroists.

If they're not. what workable solutions have they or do they wish to put forth
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 9 June 2008 6:05:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You all need to watch the movie called "the kite runner" i never understood really why our troops (inc. my own brother at the moment) were in afghanistan, its not just about 9/11 but the injustices being done by the taliban to the afghans themselves. Freedom is something everyone regardless of religion is entitled to and the taliban is making that impossible for the wider community in afghanistan.

Maybe to the ones on here that are so narrow minded and are ready to blame the government in the blink of the eye may just see that the government is doing the right thing in the interest of global peace and freedom.
Posted by amberd, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 4:04:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
amberd
"Freedom is something everyone regardless of religion is entitled to" "the ones on here that are so narrow minded"
Really ?
Do you know anything about Saudi Arabia? A stone age theocratic system. NO DEMOCRACY, NO RIGHTS, WOMEN ARE WORST THAN SLAVES! ITS BRUTALITY IS KNOW WORLDWIDE!
Do you know who support this system? Americans and westerns! IF YOU WANT TO SPEAK FOR FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY THEN DO NOT LIMIT YOUR INTERESTS ONLY TO TALEBANS, THEY WAS EXTREMISTS BUT ONLY FOR THEIR COUNTRY.
Saudi Arabia is very strong and play very important role on Muslim Worldwide, especially on Muslims in western countries, most schools, mosque etc created from Saudi money and continue to receive less or more financial support from Saudi Arabia, from the worst theocratic, non democratic system on our planet.
Did you hear ever for Mubarak, the permanent president from Egypt, Did you hear for Morocco regime? Did you hear for the crazy president who change the names of months and gave them the names from his parents and relatives? A whole world from crazy and paranoiac leaders and systems!
About Al Qaeda the problem is much more complex and it needs deep analysis
While Taleban promote their stone age ideas to their people, Saudi Arabians promote them worldwide and they stand on our support.
We filter the flies and drunk the elephant!
The question is not only who first and who second but how.
The war in Afghanistan was lost from the very begin, it's a big, mountainous, divided country, with no central government, fanatic Muslims, hard fighters, no way to press them.
Do you know what happened with Britain and Soviet Union in Afghanistan? Exactly the same thing will happen with westerners now.
If you are for one reason against the Talebans I am against them for many reasons BUT WE CAN NOT WIN THEM WITH A STUPID WAY.
We have lost our brothers and waste our wealth in Afghanistan without any chance to win!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaid
Posted by ASymeonakis, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 5:09:21 PM
You are dead right ASymeonakis. Now, how would YOU solve the problem? Here is YOUR chance to put forward a solution. A nice dot point format that is simple to read & understand will be great.

Go for it!
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 6:33:40 PM
Every country is entitled to its own culture and religion and to rule its country as it choses to. Should we declare ours to be superior?

Under Islam, in many Islamic countries, NOT IN EVERY ISLAMIC COUNTRY,please note, women and children have a sort of future the culture entitles them to. Our intervention in their affairs is not warranted.It is their affair. History has alreqady shown the world really does NOT care a damn what happens to those women and children,to their education,to their freedoms as we know them. This is the verdict of the so-called free world.Accept it,then, and move on. There is an objectivity to this truth.Our reactions are proving subjective and arbitrary. Stop interfering in what is not our concern. Leave them to their destinies.Get a life and move on.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Tuesday, 10 June 2008 8:25:11 PM
socratease

>>”Every country is entitled to its own culture and religion and to rule its country as it choses to. Should we declare ours to be superior?”

Yes, absolutely when it is better we should say so. We should declare ours to be superior to the dictatorships and theocracies that abuse and oppress their citizens.

>>”Under Islam, in many Islamic countries … women and children have a sort of future the culture entitles them to. Our intervention in their affairs is not warranted”

Mate this is just apologistic nonsense. We are involved in two wars in muslim countries, neither of them because of their muslim status.

Afghanistan allowed the formation of hundreds of alQaeda terrorist training centres and protected and funded them. Iraq was chasing WMD’s and was not co operating with the inspectors. I won’t argue that Iraq had WMD’s at the time of the invasion, but they certainly once possessed such weapons and I have no doubt that, had saddam survived, he would have sought WMD’s again once he had seen off the UN inspectors.

I really wonder in which Islamic countries do women and children “have a sort of future the culture entitles them to”

In Afghanistan we are fighting an enemy which sheltered those who attacked us, who are seeking to drag the country back to the dark ages. That we should attempt to help the afghans whilst we fight the Taliban and alQaeda is just good strategy.

ASymeonakis,

I agree with your analysis of the Saudis and the Algerians and Morrocans. Its not entirely relevant however,

I disagree entirely with your analysis of the likely success of NATO in Afghanistan. Just because the British and the Soviets failed is not evidence of the impossibility of the task. In any case the Taliban and alQaeda are our enemy and we are better off fighting them in Afghanistan than in the streets of London, New York or Mardrid. Because fighting them somewhere is inevitable.

>>” BUT WE CAN NOT WIN THEM WITH A STUPID WAY.”

How do you think we can win?
Posted by Paul.L, Wednesday, 11 June 2008 4:30:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy