The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kangaroo cull: necessary evil and the greater good > Comments

Kangaroo cull: necessary evil and the greater good : Comments

By Adam Henry, published 27/5/2008

Canberra's kangaroos - a genuinely open and ethical public debate could have expanded the options beyond 'to cull or not to cull?'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Oh my god people are becoming so soft. When this country faces a real crisis we are in serious trouble. FFS they are a bunch of roos....theres millions of them.

"perhaps even fenced, crossing routes from one area to another using scent and food to encourage the animals?"
Hey about we build them houses and give them TVs to watch while we're at it. Maybe we could watch the footy together with them on a Friday night BBQ over some kangaroo steaks....ooops problem solved

"A genuinely open and ethical public debate could have expanded the options beyond the “to cull or not to cull?” "
Yes I wasn't given the BBQ or not to BBQ option

"There is no way to hide the fact that killing healthy animals is not very pleasant"
Debateable.

"these kangaroos must be killed for the greater ecological good"
Or just for plain fun...

"If you do not see the killing and heartbreaking distress of the animals"
Then you need better shooters.
Posted by alzo, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 9:11:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The time given to a few kangaroos being shot is ridiculous. More are killed every few days by cars than the 400 shot. It is a pity more are not concerned about the the babies murdered in the womb. That is something worth lobbying about.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 10:06:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isn't it strange that Australians fear and hate their wildlife so much, and regard any attempt to save them as the work of girlie softies? The fact is that those who want kangaroos killed don't mind the animal being a national symbol, but are scared of the real thing. How many of those who want to shoot them have actually rescued an injured animal, raised a joey? None, I bet. That would be just too girlie. They wouldn't know a kangaroo or a joey unless they ran over them.
Australia has the notoriety for being the greatest destroyer of mammals in the world. It's so un-Australian to kill these animals; the roos were here long before humans. They are more Australian than a mug with a few tinnies. I wonder if these people should leave the country and live somewhere where there are no kangaroos, no wild animals, and only factories and brick veneer.I
It's going to take a long time to get the thugs out of this country. To the wild life thugs -- I suggest you go to look at the Canberra cull if you like so see killing and animal abuse.
Posted by wildkanga, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 10:19:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If it is “… so un-Australian to kill these animals…” wildkanga, who is actually doing the culling – foreigners?

Indigenous Australians hunted kangaroos for thousands of years; professional shooters regularly kill them; we eat their low fat meat.

There are more kangaroos than people
Posted by Mr. Right, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 10:47:50 AM
I can't see what benefit escape routes for the kangaroos would have been in the long term, other than to hand off the problem. Dogs, vehicles and graziers with legally obtained cull quotas would have killed most of them anyway.

I fail to see why kangaroos are sacrosanct just because they are a native animal, and the 'national' animal. All the animals we eat are native to some country, we just don't happen to have domesticated the kangaroo. Perhaps we should be congratulated for preserving roos in such numbers while other national animals (such as the US bald eagle) lurched towards extinction.

I would much rather the effort being put into the Canberra roo cull, by both sides, was redirected to looking after endangered wildlife and habitat.
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 11:06:21 AM
In our area we have a big problem with Kangaroo's eating our crops. We might as well put our cattle into the paddocks where we are trying to grow wheat seeing that the roos just jump the fence. 30-50 Kanngaroos in a paddock can do alot of damage finacnially especially in droughs like this one.
Posted by EasyTimes, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 11:14:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy