The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Please don’t come home > Comments

Please don’t come home : Comments

By Bryan Gaensler, published 23/4/2008

If ever there was a measure as to how far above its weight Australia punches on the world stage, it’s our vast, diverse, talented community of expats.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
As an expat myself, I laughed when Krudd said "don't you think you should be back there?". Why should I be? Where are the incentives Mr Rudd? Why should I come back?

While I don't know whether this suggestion would have the imact that the author is hoping for, at least someone is out there putting out proposals for enticing us back.

I wonder if part of the productivity stream at the Dummit (that's deliberate) anyone suggested things that might make it more appealing for the brightest and best to come here? Lower/more competitive top tax rates, business incentives (particularly for enterprises performing in the medium term) etc? Afterall, if the best and brightest were here, wouldn't that help improve the productivity of the country?
Posted by BN, Wednesday, 23 April 2008 10:32:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the sentiment of the article, but like BN says, why would you come back here as an expat? After all, the reason people left in the first place was to improve their career opportunities.

The only time they come back is to have a holiday (Oz is good for that), to retire or to see the relatives. To get them back here professionally requires the whole culture to change. Till then, Bryan's ideas won't work.
Posted by RobP, Wednesday, 23 April 2008 11:18:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author has some brilliant ideas.

As did all those currently overseas.

But that's why they're overseas. Nobody listened to them in this country.

So,unfortunately, unless there is a cultural change in this country -
nothing will be allowed to happen.

The 'Tall Poppy' syndrome is alive and well.

And the attitude of 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?' still persists.

Until the weeds are moved out of positions of power - and some innovative leadership takes hold - zippo, zilch, will happen.

Let's hope that under the new leadership - something of value will emerge.

As for the expats. don't hold your breath. Some may come home.
Many won't.

Not yet.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 23 April 2008 3:30:34 PM
I was an expat, but came home. Mainly for the weather and lifestyle here though. Sure I could earn three times what I do here in the UK, but life isn't all about money and career.

As for the tall poppy syndrome, I don't see anything wrong with the correct identification of people who are 'up themselves'. I think a lot of expats have an over-inflated opinion of themselves
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 28 April 2008 12:02:21 PM
Usual Suspect,

There is a big difference between:
* Someone who is up themselves which is a personal reaction to themselves, and;
* tall poppy syndrome which is a reaction to others

I don't think you can really compare them at all
Posted by BN, Monday, 28 April 2008 12:46:07 PM
I guess we all move overseas for different reasons and we all return back for different reasons - or not. We are currently ex-pat and will more than likely return at this end of this year. However this is not without hesitation. Having some objectivity has provided some interesting insights into Australia. I still have responsibility for Aust in my current role. I observe that we in Australia have quite a few sad social aspects growing. We have pushed our young people into a corner with really heavy rules. Violence and drunken brawling make a trip to Oz feel like a trip to the 'wild west' at times. I think Aussie women and wives think that 'man slagging' is funny and justified and really all it does is drive a wedge further between the sexes. I am sure Greer et al would be quite shocked to hear this constant barrage - thinly veiled as humour. Men likewise don't know what to do - and just shut down and walk away. Fighting back is just not possible. I am constantly amazed how everything is 'the Govt's fault' etc etc. I am not sure about the Tall Poppy - I think it really is the fear of not knowing or insecurity. In many ways - Australia just feels small. There are so many brilliant people there. So much brilliant culture - in terms of simple, uncluttered, resourceful + self reliant, plain language and low tolerance for BS. However I am finding this fading away - we are following this crappy US idea of PCness and litigation. Someone is to blame for everything and it is grinding the place slowly to a halt. Most sadly- it is taking away the quick wit, the dry humour and the smiles that were so readily on everyones faces - what we are famous for really. spdterence
Posted by spdterence, Friday, 9 May 2008 10:51:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy