The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Green religion > Comments

The Green religion : Comments

By William York, published 26/3/2008

Papal indulgences, carbon indulgences: it's all about having a clear conscience.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Unregulated commerce tries to make a buck out of climate chaos and somehow thats the very uncommercial Greenies fault? Sounds like just another RightThinker ducking responsibility, eg. Alex "they're good wars, really" Downer, John "you've never had it so good" Howard..

Carbon offsets are the con that big business invented so it can make money out of pretending to give a damn. Blaming greenies for offsets is like blaming Jews for the holocaust, read The Australian for the synthesis.
Posted by Liam, Thursday, 27 March 2008 7:17:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A particularly poor article that stretches a lame analogy beyond breaking point. It's quite pathetic when the earth-rapists try to cast the worldwide environmental movement as a 'religion'. If environmentalism is a religion, then so is capitalism, liberalism, feminism etc.

In other words, the article's central point is meaningless. OLO can do better than this.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 27 March 2008 8:10:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan

Entirely concur with your post, what with this article and the serial contributions by industry apologiser, Marohasy, one wonders just how 'fair and balanced' OLO truly is. I'm sure that Graham Young could produce numbers to prove otherwise. However, I doubt he could balance out the number of articles published by Marohasy with say, Tim Flannery.

As for Carbon Trading; apart moving money from one bucket to another what is it actually DOING?

When are we going to see industry actually act - all we hear are words about dollars but nothing about value, just a load of, er, pontification.
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 27 March 2008 9:56:04 AM
Fractelle,
I edit OLO and am responsible for the balance of articles on this site. As we publish six op-eds each and every weekday that is quite a bit of material to obtain. I endeavour to keep the journal as balanced as possible and I invite contributions from authors with all different points of view. I rely on authors' goodwill to supply me with material, which they do free and gratis, and for that I am very much obliged. Just sometimes it proves difficult to get the opposing view immediately, but in the end I think you will find we manage to balance our articles reasonably well.
Susan Prior - editor
Posted by SusanP, Thursday, 27 March 2008 1:11:17 PM
SusanP

So I guess we can expect an article from Tim Flannery real soon?

:-)
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 27 March 2008 3:14:32 PM
I like the comparison between Luther and Lomborg. Luther still believed in God, but rejected the church. Lomborg does believe in man-made global warming but rejects the green establishment's response to it.

You neglected another comparison. Christians light votive candles as an offering to God. Climate change fanatics insert a flourescent light globe.
Posted by grn, Thursday, 27 March 2008 3:19:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy