The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Who cares about carers? Kevin Rudd? > Comments

Who cares about carers? Kevin Rudd? : Comments

By Jean Tops, published 12/3/2008

Just the threat of cutting a few dollars from family carers is despicable given Labor’s vocal, family-friendly rhetoric.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
My understanding of the $1600 bonus was that it was a piece of pork-barreling, designed as nothing more than a vote-catcher. Of course it wasn't going to work - carers had been ignored far too long prior to that. Silly of Mr Howard to overlook this small fact. What I find interesting however is that the most recent wage-rise for parliamentarians, past and present, amounted to far more than $1600. If everybody needs to 'tighten the belt' shouldn't it have been suggested to those same parliamentarians, past and present, that they forgo their wage-rise allowing it to be written in as a permanent rise for carers? It is unlikely they would suffer a loss of life-style due to its surrender. Of course, even this measly amount is nowhere near enough for carers, or indeed, any pensioner, to meet basic needs. A complete overhaul is needed, with a look at the real cost-of-living factored in. I believe a number of agencies have done so already, and given their figures to the Governments, past and present, and been dutifully ignored. This lady's article is one voice to add to the gross social injustice being inflicted on the politically powerless, but it seems, I am glad to say, to be gaining force. Well done.
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 17 March 2008 11:34:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The carer bonus facts for those interested are these: They were paid by the Howard government for the past 4 years, rather extended election pork barrel wasn't it? The aged pensioners only received their bonus in the last year (perhaps vote buying). So why did they not buy the votes of the 712,000 disability pensioners as well?

I wonder if the questioners on the virtue of paying wealthy aged persons a bonus'stopped to think that the aged pension is 'means tested' and I'd like therefore to see the politicians poor enough to get a pension, much less a former Prime Minister, come on folks, you can do better than that!

Middle Class welfare is everywhere,from 30% private health insurance rebates, to 50% child care rebates for working families, to tax breaks for the wealthy and well off through negative gearing etc, etc etc...

Read my lips: Unpaid family caregivers contribute over $36Billion a year to the economy. They have a right to expect a better deal. A wage for work performed would be a good start. In the absence of your demands for such justice, any bonus is a veritable pot of gold to those of us who are treated the same as slave labour.

Those who think disability advocates are standing in our corner should know that their views and the views of caring families are poles apart. Family advocacy for disability caring families is non existent.... just another discrimination against those who give most.

How about making fair carer pay and disability family advocacy funding the priority of your 2020 submission and give Mr Rudd the message that family caring matters to every Auatralian. There but for the grace of God go you and you and you!
Jean Tops
Posted by lolita, Tuesday, 18 March 2008 9:13:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was all rubbish.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Saturday, 22 March 2008 8:52:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy