The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Who cares about carers? Kevin Rudd? > Comments

Who cares about carers? Kevin Rudd? : Comments

By Jean Tops, published 12/3/2008

Just the threat of cutting a few dollars from family carers is despicable given Labor’s vocal, family-friendly rhetoric.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
For those who question the author's motives or the merits of her case have the intenstinal fortitude to do as she has and use your real name not hide behind a nickname or comment for the 877th time for the sake of letting your belly rumble. Then reflect on one other thing, would you have the guts to Walk A Mile In Her Shoes? How about for 30, 40 or 50 years?
No...didn't think so!
Posted by Robert Gow, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 7:16:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jean

Thank you for this moving and eloquent article.

Our society should be judged on how we treat those less fortunate,including the cared for and those who care for them.

The kite flying by Labor (it may have been in fact a deliberate leak by someone within Cabinet opposed to the move) shows that Rudd's number one priority - the fight against inflation - will have as its target those who are the most weak and vulnerable in our society. The logic of running the economy will impose such measures on the HowRuddistas. That is after all what economic conservatives do.

Is there an alternative? The obscene tax cuts - much of which go to those earning over $100,000 a year - could be redirected to helping carers, pensioners, paying nurses and teachers more, revitalising schools and hospitals. We give through the tax system $60 bn a year to the well off and business. Take that away and use the money to properly fund carer facilities, low cost housing, better public schools and public hospitals. All Rudd needs is the political will to tax the rich rather than pander to them. He won't do anything to upset them because he rules for them.

We can build a caring and compassionate system. Unfortunately the current kefuffle about carers and pensioners shows that we will have to fight to force Rudd to look after the most vulnerable and their helpers in our society.
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:01:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe that Mr rudd is feeling the pulse of the Australian people, and so he should. Don't stab a man, for when one has stepped into a new job. If you cant see what I have said, then there's no hope for you in the world of politics.

I wonder how many of you remember your first day on the job.

Give him a chance!
Posted by evolution, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:01:46 PM
Isn't it interesting that commentary so far is almost all about the politics! Precious little concern about the injustice or distruction of normal life, and I am curious.. are any of you walking in my shoes?

Have you even considered that the outcry by the carers (actually doing all the accommodating and caring) is about raising the issue of exploitation, discrimination and slave labour, alive and well in Australia today?
There is actually legislation in Australia, forbidding farmers from expoiting their own children as unpaid labour, but it's perfectly ok (it would seem) for children to be exploited as unpaid carers and for hundreds of thousands of Mr Rudds families ditto.

Anyone who thinks that there was no truth in the leaked information should ask this question; why didn't Mr Rudd come straight out and say "it is all a lie?' He had 5 days to say 'its all a lie' but he did not. His Minister could have taken many media opportunities to say ' its all untrue, why didn't she do that?
Yes the bonus was once-off for 4 years, yes there are better ways, so
Read the guts of the issues I have raised and then tell me I am wrong to ask for public outrage that family carers are so maligned.
Jean Tops
Posted by lolita, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:18:15 PM
As i said before this was a great article.

I think discussing the politics is inevitable if we want to recognise the magnificent contribution carers make and pensioners have made to our society. That in no way detracts from the poignancy of the piece; I think it adds to it.

I think the outrage should also be that $1600 is such a pittance. I don't just want carers to be the same as under Howard. I want them to be much better off. Isn't that why we elected Rudd?

Instead of $1600, why not $16,000 for all carers? And why not increase the pension by $100 a week for starters?

Pay for this out of the $31 bn tax cuts for the well off and their $60 bn in tax exemptions.
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:50:39 PM
Lolita

I am thoroughly attuned to the needs of carers having been one myself on two occasions for long periods. And having worked professionally in the area.

My comment may have sounded unsympathetic to you; but it was intended to alert readers to the fact that pushing public panic buttons is a regular part of Canberra mischief-making in the lead up to a budget.

You are dead right to raise the issue of exploitation, discrimination and slave labour. But it seems to me that there are strategic ways of getting the message across and there are ways that simply get up the noses of decision makers. Insulting Rudd may make people feel good for a short while, but I would have thought that flattery, lobbying or rational argument might be more effective in achieving your goals.

The Howard strategy of one-off bonuses was an ad hoc way of giving help to carers; but given that it was never guaranteed to be a permanent payment - strenuously urging the Rudd government to look at something more substantial and longer-term than an iffy annual budget bonus subject to razor gang cuts.

As to the question; why didn't Mr Rudd or his Minister come straight out and say "it is all a lie' in the five days available, it is possible he genuinely tried to stick to the policy of not making comments on budget matters prior to the budget being settled.

I won't tell you that you are "wrong to ask for public outrage that family carers are so maligned" because I don't believe carers are maligned. Under-valued yes, under-funded yes, over-worked yes; but maligned, no. Not by those who understand. The task then is to increase people's understanding - especially politicians.

If Rudd has concerns about the one-off bonus arrangement, why don't the lobbyists recommend to him smarter ways of giving carers support? It might actually produce a fairer and more reasonable system.
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 9:03:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy