The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Where’s the beef? > Comments

Where’s the beef? : Comments

By Malcolm Jorgensen and Brendon O'Connor, published 22/2/2008

While media coverage of the personal dimension in the US election is essential, we also need a run down of the key players' policies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Good article... It's nice to see an exposition on where the various candidates stand on POLICY - whereas most media coverage is shallow, and only focuses on clash of personality... I hope you 'keep at it' - and provide us more coverage of the US presidential election campaign.
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Saturday, 23 February 2008 11:08:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree, excellent article, and a much needed antidote to the shallowness of most press coverage we receive here.

I often find myself being impressed by the quality of commentary emanating from Griffith University and this article is certainly no exception. I constantly regret the decision we made that our son study Environmental Science at our local university rather than at Griffith, which would have required him to leave home but which really wasn't that much further away.

I agree with Tristan, I hope we can hear more from the authors between now and January '09. The candidates' plans on reducing greenhouse emissions, on planning for peak oil, on education and on reducing America's enormous wealth disparity are just some examples of areas that would be worth hearing about.

'McCain, who when asked of his intentions at a town hall meeting sang in reply: “bomb, bomb Iran” to the tune of the Beach Boys’ “Barbara Ann”.'

Maybe I've missed it, but why isn't this revealing little snippet being shouted from the rooftops, especially by both Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama? Surely the American people realize by now the folly of contemplating another unprovoked bombing campaign in the Middle East.

'Despite significant foreign policy differences, statements of principle from all candidates demonstrate that Bush has established himself as a great educator - in the imprudence of unilateral and inflexible international conduct.'

What a gem of a statement! Yes, no matter which candidate is sucessful, there will be a vast improvement in the standard of governance that both America itself and the world at large has had to endure for the last seven years.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 23 February 2008 3:28:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy