The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The politics of apology and the laws of compensation > Comments

The politics of apology and the laws of compensation : Comments

By Nilay Patel, published 14/2/2008

Many international conventions binding on Australia recognise a right to an effective remedy for the stolen generations: but what are the legal issues?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. All
To leigh and her soul mate rehctub, what about the white Australian Wheat Board using Aboriginal taxpayers money as bribes to get work from our enemies, or the misuse of the drought, flood and other relief paid to parasitic farmers. These bludgers have destroyed the land and used our multi billion taxpayer assistance to do it and now are threatning our water supplies with their irresponsible european farming technigues.

Also what about the two world wars your people got us into that killed millions of people and the destruction of the forrests and pollluting of our waters, not to mention high interest rates created by your need for credit.

ABoriginal people payed taxes for services we could not use by law whilst you two wingers got the benefits of it and your families. As for Howard he wouldn't say sorry on behalf of whites yet demanded an apology from the japanese for there alleged crimes against white soldiers.

The fact that the Japs teach the same kind of sanatised version of historical propaganda to there children about their role in WW2 war as Howard and his propaganda stooge "Windscuttle" is teaching white kids of this generation ensuring that racism live on in the future.

If locking up Aboriginal people and taking away their rights as civilians is good for them because of conditions created by whites, then locking up white soldiers and starving them to death was good to protect asian people from slavery under white rule.
Posted by Yindin, Thursday, 14 February 2008 1:52:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lucifer

Why don't you spit it out instead of being snide in your racist stereotyping?

What have Indigenous Australians done to you that you feel the need to malign and slander them?

I actually know a number of Indigenous Australians who are doing very well in your terms (which incidentally is not the only measure of well-being or worth). I also know a number of (as you put it) "Greek, Italian, Chinese, Jewish, German" Australians who are anything but doctors and lawyers. The ABS keeps the score if you're genuinely interested in anything other than racial and ethnic stereotypes.

When you find significant differences in levels of socio-economic achievements among groups in Australia, it's useful to try to analyse the range of objective reasons for those differences. Assigning causes linked to abilities of races is the crudest form of analysis - and the least likely to offer a reasonable explanation of differences between groups.
Posted by FrankGol, Thursday, 14 February 2008 1:58:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I feel sorry for what happened though I would never apologise for something I didnt do!
Maybe i'll get an apology for being mobbed my whole childhood by groups of aboriginals at train stations.
Ive never stolen a thing from "anybody", black or white. I have aboriginal friends for #$% sake and they agree with me.
How much can an apology on someone elses behalf mean anyway ?
It certainly wouldnt mean anything to me, it would in fact feel rather, empty...

- Nathan
Posted by honestt, Thursday, 14 February 2008 3:06:04 PM
Just like Wilson Tucky said, and I quote; "well tomorrow will be a new day in the history of all Australians, no more chromming, no more molestation of incocent children", yea as if that's going to happen.
Wake up to yourselves people, these problems can't and won't be resolved by saying sorry. After all, if a resolution is to be sought to any type of problem both parties have to be committed to achieving an outcome.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 14 February 2008 3:23:32 PM
Dearest Rehctub, I LOVE you!But I DON'T KNOW YOU! What experiences have formed your opinions or HAVE YOU BEEN brainwashed by something taught you.Today is Valentines Day, please accept my offering of a single RED ROSE to you as a fellow human being.I don't mind your opposition but I would never agree with you.I am not the same person I was in my youth.Hopefully , you will grow wiser, compassionate and tolerant and I GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE A MUCH HAPPIER PERSON.My advice is to make a special friend of ONE person of Indigenous extraction to see if you can change your mind.
Posted by TINMAN, Thursday, 14 February 2008 3:44:28 PM
Amazing how so very few of the comments posted to this article address the article itself! You're all going round and round like dogs chasing their tails. The point today is that the Government of Oz imputed liability for vast transgressions against hapless victims but the author of the article says it WON'T result in compensation. Waddyareckon to that?
Posted by artsgrad, Thursday, 14 February 2008 4:11:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy