The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Civil unions in the closet: Rudd bows to the religious right > Comments

Civil unions in the closet: Rudd bows to the religious right : Comments

By Carol Johnson, published 14/2/2008

How would you feel if your government apparently considered your love for your partner problematic, second-rate and shameful?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I feel sorry for the fundy folk... they are afraid that if gays marry, then cats and dogs will start shacking up together, and then where will we be?
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Friday, 15 February 2008 1:37:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz David. You are a worry mate, "beastiality and incest". Makes one wonder what sort of mind you have.

To me it appears you have bitterness for something that occurred in your life, for you to have such antisocial thoughts, as you have posted.
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 15 February 2008 2:56:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good heavens, Johnny Rotten. What a cavalier response.

It's not just cats and dogs shacking up they're worried about, I mean, honestly.

Clearly, they're worried that civil unions will result in gross displays of tolerance and mutual respect.

Worse still, by an extrapolation of the "it's depraved" logic of argument, it could result in... *drum roll* reduced attendance at church fetes!

Good heavens!

As for the beastiality and children crackpottery, I think that's been laid to rest with the whole 'consent' issue, so that's as logical as my church fete response.

Actually, less so. There's at least a modicum of logic behind mine.

I may as well argue that if people embrace Christianity, the associated drop in logic and reasoning that faith requires, means that if they become christian, it's only a matter of time before they become scientologists.

In regard to the: "it's depraved, the bible said so" argument, I'll respond with as much logic and brevity as that deserves.

I know you are, you said you are, but what am I?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 15 February 2008 3:08:55 PM
Actually, further to that, I came across this rather humorous selection of 'reasons' why gay marriage is unacceptable. They're jokes, of course, but they do a fine job of highlighting how empty the arguments against it really are.

17. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

16. Gay culture is a new fad created by the liberal media to undermine long-standing traditions. We know this is true because gay sex did not exist in ancient Greece and Rome.

15. There are plenty of straight families looking to adopt, and every unwanted child already has a loving family. This is why foster care does not exist.

14. Conservatives know best how to create strong families. That is why it is not true that Texas and Mississippi have the highest teen birthrates, and Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire have the lowest. This is a myth spread by the liberal media.

13. Marriage is a religious institution, defined by churches. This is why atheists do not marry.

12. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why our society has no single parents.

11. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

10. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Saturday, 16 February 2008 6:43:46 PM
8. Gay marriage should be decided by the people and their elected representatives, not the courts. The framers checked the courts, which represent mainstream public opinion, with legislatures created to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Interference by courts in this matter is inappropriate, just as it has been every time the courts have tried to hold back legislatures pushing for civil rights.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because "separate but equal" institutions are a good way to satisfy the demands of uppity minority groups.

5. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

4. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

3. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

2. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Saturday, 16 February 2008 6:44:25 PM
TRTL

ROFL

Thanks for making my Sunday

It used to be thought the 'end of the world' if Catholics married Protestants, somehow we have managed to survive that catastrophe.

But if we eliminate homophobia what will all the bigots do? They really have to hate don't they? Is there a gene for bigotry, perhaps? And why are all these bigots more upset about male homosexuality than they are about two women getting it off together? Strange paradox that one.
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 17 February 2008 2:15:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy