The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New atheists or new anti-dogmatists? > Comments

New atheists or new anti-dogmatists? : Comments

By Benjamin O'Donnell, published 25/1/2008

One gets the feeling that the real target of the 'new atheists' isn't religion at all.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Umm Josh, I don't think that Dawkins was stumped at all.
It just took him a bit of time to think about answering
the question in the way that even people like you can
understand it, given that you normally only ever understand
3 word answers, ie "God did it"

Coming up with simple answers to complex questions takes
a bit of thinking. But then if he answered in a complex
way, it would of course be clean over your head :)
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 28 January 2008 10:54:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, Dawkins clarified this situation on a forum on his website:

"1. An Australian woman called Gillian Brown, interviewing me in my own house in Oxford, asked me a question which I immediately recognized as a creationist plant.

2. I paused for a long time trying to decide whether to answer the question or throw her out of my house.

3. I eventually asked her to stop the camera and tried to throw her out. We moved into a different room, while she pleaded with me for about 20 minutes not to throw her out. In the end, I foolishly relented and agreed to go back into the filming room.

4. When the film eventually was released, I found that she had edited the two parts together -- before and after the 20 minute break -- and made it look as though my answer to a completely different question not shown on the film (about modern species not being evolved from other modern species) was an evasively irrelevant response to the original question (about information content). I am astonished that people are fooled by this transparent piece of fakery, given that there is an obvious cut. I also noticed that the original question (about information content) which she herself had posed off camera, was now posed by an Australian MAN, and he is seen ON camera, presumably in Australia and in an obviously different room from the one in which the interview took place. There is a THIRD version of the film, in which the question is put by an American man, who then mimes foolish actions to camera. It is not clear whether this third version is intended to be taken as the 'real' one, or whether it is intended as a satire on creationist tactics. The truth is that there is NO real version of the film. All three are fakes, the American version only slightly more obviously faked than the two Australian ones."

http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7400&start=50
Posted by Vanilla, Monday, 28 January 2008 11:22:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Yabby,

Glad to see the evolutionist's like yourself are as assuming as usual :)

If you watch the video again, Dawkins did not provide an answer that met the question satisfactorily. He merely stated his theory, which he believes by faith to be true. Of course cannot experientially "know" that it is true, because he wasn't there at the beginning of the universe. Don't worry I know you and I are in the same boat, we weren't there either.

He was stumped.. too a long time to answer, and ultimately did not provide the evidence asked for, by the interviewer.

I love people believing things, I think its good to have convictions, I just like to see people have reasons for what they believe.

Have a great night dude, look forward to hearing from you again,

josh mitchell
Posted by Josh 4 Christ, Monday, 28 January 2008 11:27:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would like to applaud Mr. O'Donnell and this journal for a very well written and insightful article, something that is quite rare on this topic. If only more people understood the argument as well as O'Donnell then many more would be convinced by it. I'm certain that this article will have that effect on some.
Posted by Gustaf Sjoblom, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 4:38:59 AM
Josh said

"Glad to see the evolutionist's [sic] like yourself are as assuming as usual :)"

Quite funny you should say that Josh, assuming what, exactly?

I know you can't post more than twice in 24 hours, so I am sure it will be just a matter of time before you are back to admit that you have been hoodwinked by a shameful deception.

So the trick is to ask someone a question, then show them answering a completely different one.. and who are the people with no morals, ethics or values again? Remind me Josh? Oh that's right.. the damn godless atheists!

And who would have thought that creationists would stoop to such depths? I mean, with god on your side, why do you need to lie to make a point?

And fancy someone like yourself believing in this Dawkins cut-and-paste propaganda, without any evidence, and then going on to tell the world about it, in order to bolster your own worldview? Oh hang on.. I forgot.. that's what you people do!
Posted by stickman, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 5:32:56 AM
Josh,

I’ll be interested in your response to Stickman. I have always wondered why Creationists feel the need to be so deceptive. Especially since they should know better. You know, with the whole 9th commandment and all…

”Thou shalt not bare false witness against thy neighbour”

Just take a look at all their “evidence” that refutes evolution. Their arguments are cherry-picked and misleading. Not to mention that there is a very logical explaination for every little piece of their so-called "evidence". They always forget to metion that part though.

Not only does Dawkins answer this question in 'The God Delusion', but the video responses to that clip also provide an answer.

<<Dawkins did not provide an answer that met the question satisfactorily.>>

The answer he provided was for a different question.

How easily we a fooled when we want to believe something. No wonder Christians think that they can sense God in their lives. Those neurons in our brains can do some powerful things.

<<He merely stated his theory, which he believes by faith to be true.>>

No. He stated a valid theory that there is a lot of evidence for. Therefore, your use of the word “faith” is incorrect if you are trying to use it in the same context as religious faith.

<<He was stumped.. too a long time to answer>>

The fact that someone might think for a while before answering a question, shows a lot more intelligence then bursting out in a ‘happy-clappy’ kind of way: “God did it!” One of the many problems with religion is that it stops people from thinking or questioning too much.

But let us play your game for a little while and pretend that he was stumped...

So what?

Just because Evolutionists many not have the answer to everything, doesn’t mean that you can suddenly discard everything else.

How much evidence do creationists have? Zip!
Posted by AJ Philips, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 7:51:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy