The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New atheists or new anti-dogmatists? > Comments

New atheists or new anti-dogmatists? : Comments

By Benjamin O'Donnell, published 25/1/2008

One gets the feeling that the real target of the 'new atheists' isn't religion at all.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
some good posts and poem here...and usual suspects...those who are so sure...when we cant be 'absolutely sure' the sun will arise tomorrow...makes one look more at who the person they are and what is their intention...

but a concern as well in that the distinct lack of consideration for issue of 'energy' in daily action as an essential part of the discussion ...when its such an integral and fundamental part of what makes us human...and not use that on issue of god...who is thought/expected to be 'intelligent pure energy'...

we as children were controlled with it mainly by our mothers...no need for words...you could follow the 'instructions'...and see the same all around us on the streets with mothers and children...Im saying women have the awareness of energy and control of it better tuned in than men...

I always thought men had the same awareness and control of energy...because most of us have sex right...and if not able to increase sexual energy during the act then where is the intensity of it...and which the basic form of energy which even most mammals have and respond on...and without this the act of sex is just a physical sensation whose novelty would wear off after a while...

I hope I have put my thoughts down clearly...and men reading this do understand...I know women do...

for if all this energy around us, being used in and in between living forms that we know...the concept of god is essentially a superior power exists that can control that energy in its entirety...so can create/observe/intervene in its interactions...cant see how we can have a discussion about god and not discuss this aspect as a fundamental part...

Sam
Posted by Sam said, Saturday, 26 January 2008 11:53:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*If atheists are correct then we are all nothing but worm food.*

One thing that I know GP, is that one day, worm food you will
be!

Now I could promise you that its all not true, that somehow
by magic, it won't actually happen to you. I can take your
money in doing so, tell you how to behave, if you want to
avoid being worm food. I could use your fear of death to
have quite some control over you!

But then I would have to be honest with myself and admit
that I was a snake oil salesman, playing on your fears
and hopes.

Unfortunately I am far too honest to be a religious leader.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 27 January 2008 1:55:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sanmk Said,
Most living things get their energy from cellular respiration, and the energy produced during that cellular respiration process is measurable in joules.

But one of the characteristics of a living thing is its ability to reproduce, and while it may have the energy necessary to reproduce, it also has to have the desire to reproduce.

A living thing can have the energy to reproduce, but not the desire, so I think the desire to reproduce and grow does not come from cellular respiration, but from something else (which is not quantifiable).

Perhaps a lot of dogma has been an attempt to quantify what is not quantifiable.
Posted by HRS, Monday, 28 January 2008 2:06:34 PM
hrs the common currency of energy at cellular level in most life is 'atp'...and I think you are referring to 'krebs cycle' which is the engine that produces atp from different food groups we eat/convert ie protein carbohydrates and fats within each cell...

internet search produces good information ...wiki on krebs(aka citric acid cycle) is ok for a start

I think I get your link between energy and desire to reproduce...as to intensity of pleasure during act of sex...and how this intensity can be increased by becoming aware of sexual energy and able to to vary its intensity...now that is something totally different...

from talking to other people over time...it seems a small percentage have fair control over amount of sexual energy they can put during the act and to vary it according to intensity(as too much causes ejaculation/orgasm and which diminishes/'brings to end' the body pleasure response in sex), majority of people have a sense of it but struggle to identify and control, and smaller percentage have almost no concept of sexual energy control during the act(sex is just the physical sensation only)...

Sam
If this is just garble then talk to people in first group...word of warning women are different to men eg women say spin the energy anticlockwise and for men its clockwise...
Posted by Sam said, Monday, 28 January 2008 8:05:06 PM
Yabby: " *If atheists are correct then we are all nothing but worm food.*

One thing that I know GP, is that one day, worm food you will
be!"

Well at least we can all agree on something!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 28 January 2008 8:09:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating Australia day, and the freedom of speech we have in our wonderful state of Queensland.

I thought you might like to see there, Mr. Dawkins gets stumped by a creationist's question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKryi3605g

Have a great day :)

josh mitchell
Posted by Josh 4 Christ, Monday, 28 January 2008 10:19:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy