The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Zimbabwe against the world > Comments

Zimbabwe against the world : Comments

By Andrew Elder, published 10/1/2008

Troublesome Africa - it woulda/coulda/shoulda been cheap 'n' easy to wipe out Mugabe.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The barely reported recent death of Ian Smith concentrated on how ‘bad’ the man who had Rhodesia running like clockwork and very rich for a small, African country. Not a word of criticism about the fiend Mugabe who replaced him.

Of course, Mugabe is black and it’s OK by the self-hating white do-gooders for a black man to kill and oppress fellow blacks, whereas a white man can do no good at all and is, automatically, a racist. As Mugabe is killing off and suppressing his own kind, I suppose he can hardly be called a racist for that; but he certainly is a racist in his badmouthing of whites when he blames them for the problems he has caused in his own country. The word “turd” used by the author for this animal is far too nice.

Since colonial ‘oppressors’ have left Africa, it should be clear to even the biggest dunderhead that Africans are simply not capable of running their own countries. All African leaders and governments are not on the same low as Mugabe, but they are complete no-hopers when it comes to running a country and looking after their people.

Zimbabwe would be number one candidate for Western intervention if the West didn't intervene in other countries only to satisfy its own needs.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 10 January 2008 9:39:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...it should be clear to even the biggest dunderhead that Africans are simply not capable of running their own countries"

True. It's astonishingly that tens of millions of Americans think that Barack Obama could seriously be capable of running their country, given the colour of his skin.
Posted by wizofaus, Thursday, 10 January 2008 9:58:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, Leigh, Mugabe is a racist.
Anyone who doubts this should read 'Government by Deception' by Jan Lamprecht.

Also, wiz, how many of the 'tens of millions of Americans' are the same colour as Barack Obama?
Posted by Jack the Lad, Thursday, 10 January 2008 10:56:37 AM
How may non-Zimbabweans help throw off this horrid dictator?

Suggestions:
* Lobby our PM and your local MP to develop a foreign policy strategy to isolate Zimbabwe's ruling elite
* Examples: UN action to freeze their foreign assets,
ban travel to Austrlia,
* hold them accountable through proceedings in the international criminal court after investigation and documentation of the regime's crimes, and
* finally, take strategic secondary boycotts and diplomatic action against Zimbabwe's biggest backer - China.

China's investment in Zimbabwe's mining sector and aid to the ZANU party, has given Mugabe just enough resources to keep his own support in the police and army from turning against him.

As a consequence of China's unprincipled support for ruthless dictators over Africa, evil men like Mugabe, and Sudan's Bashir are set to realise their dreams of being President for Life.

China may yet face the wrath of the Africans during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Posted by Quick response, Thursday, 10 January 2008 12:32:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wizofaus,

Barack Obabama is American, not African.

I DID NOT say black people were not capable of running their own countries; I said Africans were not capable of running their own countries.

I DO NOT judge peoples' intelligence or abilities by the colour of their skin. You apparently do.

The facts support the contention that Africans are not capable of running their own countries. The other side of the coin is India, where, after a flirtation with Russia - which put them back years - after the Raj left, they got stuck in and can now hold their own in the world. This is quiet a feat, given their enormous population which will still present them with problems for some time to come.

Think about the Japanese and now the Chinese. Not many white faces among them!

Grow up, and stop thinking that all non-white people are immune from fault.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 10 January 2008 4:07:15 PM
Ok Leigh, then what is it about Africans that you believe makes them incapable of running their own countries? FWIW, I'm actually completely open to the hypotheses that there is something in the genetic nature of indigineous Africans that works against running large "Westernised" nations - but there's not a lot of convincing evidence that I know of, and if there were, the solution would surely be for them to explorer alternative forms of civilisation, perhaps more tribally/collectively-based.

Either way, Africans single-handedly kept our species alive for over 100,000 years. I somehow doubt us whites are likely to match that feat, regardless of how spectacular our advances in technology and human rights have been.
Posted by wizofaus, Thursday, 10 January 2008 4:25:22 PM
Wiz “then what is it about Africans that you believe makes them incapable of running their own countries”

The history of Africa in the period since European colonization and the observation that whilst much of the rest of the world, ex European colonies included, have “advanced” materially, democratically and in terms of life expectation, Africa has recessed.

As to “the solution would surely be for them to explorer alternative forms of civilisation, perhaps more tribally/collectively-based.”

Far from being some form of “solution” the truth is the “tribalism” you suggest is what they has caused the regression.

The attrition seen in the central African republics (example Rwanda) is “tribal”.

Mugabe was elected to power when the Mashona voted along “tribal” lines for him.

As for “Either way, Africans single-handedly kept our species alive for over 100,000 years.”

So how many years ago did that 100,000 years occur?

I doubt the world population was anywhere near what it is now.

Same earth, fewer folk, less competitive demand for food, easier for the hunter gatherer.

Much social development has been in response to population growth, that might explain why aborigines had developed so little by the time Britain colonized Australia.

I would suggest regardless when what might have happened, the issues of today have to be faced by the people of today.

Just like the bleating of Australian aborigines, what might have been or happened 40,000 years ago in Australia or for a period of 100,000 years in Africa counts less than what happened yesterday and a hell of a lot less than what might happen tomorrow.

My observation, living in in southern USA, visiting Zimbabwe-Rhodesia in 1980 (as it was at the time), a week after Mugabe came to power -

“African Negros” are entirely different people to “North American Negros”.

It is simple, the social values and environment in which many generations have developed on the two continents, separated by an ocean, have “nurtured” them into different “races”.

Much the same as “Australians” will have evolved from Britains (in comparative terms in another 100 years or so).
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 10 January 2008 6:20:27 PM
"Aborgines had developed so little by the time Britain Colonised Australia".

Col Rouge you overlap Leigh in arrogant comment.You as we all are, are immigrants. I had no choice I was born here, but to have an immigrant Ten pound POM, deride the true Australian people. Shows you have no respect for Australia, you came here to make a quick buck, as you appear to have failed from where you came from.
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 10 January 2008 6:55:43 PM
Has “tribalism” caused the regression? Certainly most African political parties have a strong 'tribal' loyaty base with one tribe usually in the dominant position. That situation, is predictable given ethnic/language groups tend to live in geographically defined communities.

Whilst political loyalty to a candidate's tribal origins may not be conducive for stable democratic transition of power, is not necessarily a recipe for bloodshed after an election. Look at recent democratic elections in Ghana and Liberia. Few casulties with a relatively smooth change of government.

The problem of post-election violence has more to do with the ruthless pursuit of power by unprincipled incumbents like Mugabe and/or their opponents who have never had any intention of respecting the will of the people as expressed in votes cast at the ballot box.

Russia and former soviet republics also suffer potitical leaders with this mental mindset. Remember, many African countries, like Ghana, were soviet client states in the cold war.

Tribalism exists in some form in all societies, Australia no exception. Ethnic communities do tend to swing their support as a block.

As African democratic political systems mature, the countries' public, opinion leaders and players engage in activities to minimise the risk of post-election violence. This usually involves careful pre-poll preparation, good transparent processes for the conduct of the election and a pivotal role for foreign and local election monitors. I have observed recent elections in Ghana.

Some of Ghana's poll security measures include current electoral rolls, issue of tamperproof voters' ID cards and the application of an indelable fingernail dye on people who have voted. More rigorous and effective at preventing multiple voting than Australia's weak anti-fraud methods.
Posted by Quick response, Friday, 11 January 2008 8:24:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There leigh goes again espousing her racist views about anyone not white like her and as usuall she knows nothing about the subject.

I was one of only a handfull of multi national UN peace keepers in the country at the time responsible for disarming the various factions at our check point before allowing them to proceed on to vote.

Africa in particular southern Africa is made up of hundreds of different tribes connected by language religion and other factors we didn't quite understand. The only language the people understand in Africa is dictatorship, white or black anyone with the most gun's is in charge.

Smith was a rutherless mongrel who used any means to keep control including torturing children a young as ten and his replacement has proved to be no different.

Many of my mates who are intitiled to wear the blue cap ( UN ) like myself have told me the Balkans was not much different and those people are white.
Posted by Yindin, Friday, 11 January 2008 8:41:32 AM
Kipp “Col Rouge you overlap Leigh in arrogant comment.”

That you find it “arrogant” is your problem. I suggest “go tell to someone else, who might actually care”

“I had no choice I was born here,”

your citizenship is an “accident”.

“immigrant Ten pound POM, deride the true Australian people.”

I arrived in 1983, the “Ten Pound POME” program ended a decade past.

When I arrived through Sydney, the migration officer read my visa and said,

“Ah some of the chosen people”

Contrary to how you identify yourself (viz “I had no choice”)

I paid my fare

I am here because I had to scale the obstacles of Australia’s migration policy, which were not easy, clearing health, employment, suitability criteria as well as the air ticket price.

I wonder if you would have been “accepted” if faced with the same hurdles as I?

“True Australian people”

what a bunch of elitist rubbish

Everyone who has citizenship of Australia is potentially a “True Australian”. Some scumbags do not deserve it, regardless where they were born.

You do not need to trace your ancestors back 200 years to the first fleet or back 40,000 years to be a “True Australian”

Someone who might have been born in a different land, who is a citizen and supports the values of Australia is a “True Australian”.

You personal insecurities might tell you different but believe me, your elitism is entirely understandable, when read in conjunction with the rest of your small minded babble.

“Shows you have no respect for Australia”

I respect individuals, not “social categories”.

If I had “no respect” I would (and could) go elsewhere, where you would not be “accepted”.

“you came here to make a quick buck”

I brought my family here, not the actions of someone wanting to “make a quick buck”

“as you appear to have failed from where you came from.”

Not at all, I gave up a fabulous job / career at a time when I was being offered promotion. Hardly the profile of having “failed from where I came from”
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:14:05 AM
Wizofaus,

Col has answered your questions very well. Tribal emnity is one of the major problems.

Genetics has nothing to do with the situation. Any person in the right setting, with the right education and standards of behaviour can prosper. These are not available in Africa.

If you wish to know any more, you will have to send me large cheque for my time. I am hear to express my humble opinions, not to teach.

Yindin,

On what basis do you make the amazing claim that I "know nothing about the subject"? Have we met? Would you like to post everything you know about me and my credentials?

I think the claims you make for yourself are probably rubbish, but I don't know enough to say, for sure, that they are.

I'll tell you one thing, though. Anyone who refers to a man as "she" and "her" is not the sharpest knife in the draw. What sort of name is 'Yindin'. I don't known, so I suppose it's OK if I refer to you as 'it'?

Kipp,

What a nasty little piece of work you are!
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:56:02 AM
Fine, then Leigh I apologise for implying that you were being racist. But to say "Africans are simply not capable of running their own countries" implies that there is something inherently different about Africans that leads to this result. Now you're saying with the right conditions and education they can prosper - so is that not admitting that they *are* potentially capable of running their own countries?
Posted by wizofaus, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:07:02 AM
The people of Zimbabwe, the Shona, are the kindest and friendliest that I have ever met. Their placid nature has been abused by one of the cruelest most avaricious men in history.

That Mugabe is still in power is due to four things:

His ruthless crushing of any dissent,

His extreme paranoid level of security,

The backing of other african leaders who are all too glad to have their own misdeeds overshadowed by this monster,

The apathy of a world focused on Iraq, Afghanistan, and other hot spots.

The same type of dictatorships existed in the dark ages of Europe, so is not the sole preserve of the black man, however, this does not make it any less dispicable.

I would recommend punishing not only those responsible, but those that enable him to remain in power such as Thabo Mbeki and the other dictators of the AU.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 11 January 2008 11:26:00 AM
If Zimbabwe had oil, Mugabe wouldn't last 5 minutes.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 11 January 2008 11:32:37 AM
my dad's better than your dad
Posted by roger migently, Saturday, 12 January 2008 2:19:14 PM
*If Zimbabwe had oil, Mugabe wouldn't last 5 minutes.*

Exactly. The problem however, is that with these sorts
of dictators, the West is dammed if it does and dammed if
it doesent. A single gps targeted missile could solve
the Mugable problem tomorrow, but it seems its not
acceptable, better to just let the people suffer. Makes
no sense to me.

The thing is, in both Africa and the ME, tribalism still
dominates and rules and whilst that is the case, its hard
to progress to any kind of fair democracy.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 13 January 2008 1:04:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy