The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boys and guns > Comments

Boys and guns : Comments

By Peter West, published 11/1/2008

A new report from the UK might encourage a move back to single-sex learning, even within a coeducational school.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
"News flash". Of course your kids said that you were the greatest mum in the world. The vast majority of kids think that their mother is the best mother in the world. So we are all the best mother in the world for somebody!

Question is, do you think you are a bad mother? And, why does it bother you what you think that I think?

I don't recall ever saying that I was the best mother on this Earth, that seems to have come from you a number of times but I do everything that I can to support and protect my children.

Why do confident people seem to make some people hostile and angry?
Posted by Jolanda, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 6:16:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda, reading the comments, I don't think it's 'confident people' that make others angry.

I think it's more likely, that patronising people by using pretty obtuse tactics, such as ascribing their reactions to something like 'confident people' is more likely to get their back up.

Especially when you make comments like "the vast majority of kids think their mother is the best mother in the world".... given that if you read between the lines, you're just reiterating the point that the other poster was making.

That isn't a response. It's agreeing with the poster, but acting as though you're not, and trying to claim the argument they just made against you.

You've made various points - such as the fact that you know these things because your children have told you. The response was, that this can be unreliable.

I've looked at the website you have there, and quite frankly, it's very worrying. I can only concur with other posters who have said you show all the signs of being a 'helicopter parent' who has too much involvement in their children's lives.

I've no doubt this will provoke a heated response, indicating I'm presumptuous and how dare I make such statements.

Though, given that my charge is that a parent who is too wrapped up in their kids lives can't be objective, this is to be expected.

And to back my case, I make the following argument:

Your website it a litany of grievances against education departments, government officials, teachers - basically, anyone who has disagreed with you. You've ascribed this to a hopelessly flawed education system, operating in some kind of cabal of secrecy.

Cont'd.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 6:34:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alternatively, the other possibility is that you are a parent who loves their children, but perhaps doesn't know when to let them fight their own battles.

Given that overprotective parents are reasonably common, and state-wide conspiracies are less so... well, you see where I'm going.

I can sense you already warming up to respond to my 'fight your own battles' argument, given that it's a whole education system versus a couple of kids.

To this I'd say that most kids manage it. If your children are indeed gifted (though no offense, the last person qualified to say whether a child is genuinely gifted is their parent because all parents are quite naturally biased), and even if they're not being recognised for this, then it doesn't matter.

It really doesn't. If they're gifted, they'll succeed in life regardless, though they'll be better at it if they learn to fend for themselves.

The cold hard truth is, that kids who have overprotective parents, do not learn to fend for themselves, and you're displaying all the classic signs of an overprotective parent.
You're also making it very public, which undoubtedly is going to make things harder for them.

You can tell me to butt out, but to that I say, when you make such a public crusade and publish a website, be prepared for people who disagree.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 6:35:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda,

"Question is, do you think you are a bad mother? And, why does it bother you what you think that I think?" what makes you say this. You seem to be a very bitter angry deffensive peron.

You said that you don't recall ever saying that I was the best mother on this Earth,
then way say the your children said it and its like a statement and I have googles your name and you have said this on numerous occasions. Your writings come across as you are the only mother that teachers her children well example: my children tell me whats going on> so there fore your children behave differently to others> children behave differently because parents dont teach them
"as a rule boys tend to be aggressive and they are aggressive because they are not taught to consider their actions or taught respect."

What makes you an expert, your children, because they tell you whats goes on and that you and the best on the earth. Not the best in the world but the best on the earth. You have a lot to learn. The amount of people you have tried to help you (didnt agree with you) Is it possible that you may be making a mistake with your children.

HRS. my three boys raised same house same father totally different personality, one quie and sensitive, one loud and boisterous, and one just normal. I thinks its in the DNA. My boys always did better with male teachers.

Turnleftandright: I think you are wasting your time trying to help Jolanda, I read her blog and googled her name. and so so many have tried to but shot down and called a bully. Unfortunatley for her children this will be their life.
Posted by Annoyed Parent, Thursday, 17 January 2008 10:40:51 AM
Turnleftthenright. What I was doing was being sarcastic in RESPONSE to a post that was very rude towards me. Why is it okay for others to be rude to me but not for me to respond in a sarcastic manner?

So let me get this straight you don’t know my children or me but you think that I am biased and that I am a Helicopter parent and that my children are liars? You appear to base that on the fact that you believe that mothers are overprotective and that Public servants are saints and would never conspire to do wrong so as to get back at a someonewho publicly complained about them.

You believe that young children who complain of being victimized, bullied, harassed and vilified by adults should be left to fend for themselves and that even if my children had been targeted and victmised, that I should teach them to just accept their lower ranking in society and not complain?

You appear to believe that because I made formal allegations after responding to complaints by my children and receiving documents under FOI that showed alarming evidence of bias, manipulation and discrimination aimed at my children that I am overprotecting them?

How does all that you say equal Child Protection and Human Rights and how does best interest of the child fit in?

As Law abiding tax paying citizens we should have a right to be treated fairly by Government Departments and we should have a right to seek access to the process used by our Government regarding decisions that impacted on us and we have the right to complain and seek justice and protection for our children when we witness injustices?

My children want me to make this public as they want to stand up against the bullies in the system that are treating them this way. My children are fending for themselves but it isn’t fair to ask children to handle a matter against adults in the Education system. It is my job as their mother to protect them and do this for them.
Posted by Jolanda, Thursday, 17 January 2008 11:41:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda-

1) You said, what you were doing was a sarcastic response.

No it wasn't. You're just saying that now as a defence.

Sarcasm refers to an instance when you say something in a facetious manner, implying the reverse.

What you said: "Of course your kids said that you were the greatest mum in the world. The vast majority of kids think that their mother is the best mother in the world. So we are all the best mother in the world for somebody!"

Unless you mean the reverse, and I'm pretty sure you don't, this can't be sarcasm. You've simply reiterated a point.

A similar situation stands for the 'confident' comment.

You say I'm basing my calls on the fact that public servants must be saints who wouldn't be vindictive.

No. You're exaggerating my commentary about the government. I never implied they were saints. As for getting back at someone who complained about them, well, I only think that would happen in the event of a sustained campaign, which brings me to your next comment.

In relation to your comment about the bias, manipulation etc:

Were it an isolated incident, then perhaps you would be correct. What's on your website shows a continuous stream of communication and complaints. It isn't just making a complaint - it is a sustained campaign against the education system.

Either a huge multitude of public servants, politicians and teachers are engaged in a conspiracy, or it's you that has the problem.

If it's the system at fault, then why aren't all the parents up in arms?

You also say that your kids have somehow been "lower ranked" but I've seen no indication of that - again, this is perception. They've been ranked alongside the other kids - not lower, but on an even footing. It's the fact that they haven't been elevated that has you complaining.

I don't expect you to take on board what I'm saying - if I'm right, then you're far too close to the situation to have any kind of objectivity, given that it's your kids at stake.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 18 January 2008 9:18:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy