The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ideology paints itself into a corner > Comments

Ideology paints itself into a corner : Comments

By Helen Hopcroft, published 24/12/2007

The day I arrived at the doctrine of 'you can have free speech, as long as you agree with me'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
David JS you state:

"I just loved the supporters of the racists out at Camden trying to prevent the setting up of a Muslim school. One pathetic loser bleated about his problem with being called a 'racist' just because he was against the proposed school. 'What about freedom of speech?' he whined.

Racists need to understand this: you have the right to denigrate anyone you like and I have the right to call you a filthy bigot, racist, loser or whatever I like."

Now:

a) is the person at Camden a racist? Perhaps not. If the school was not being set up by Muslims, but, say by the National Front as a Neo-Nazi College for Arian Studies, would we be able to object to the ideology of the proposed school;, or would we be labelled racist by David JS and his ilk? Is being anti-Nazism the same as being anti-German?

The fact that Muslim ideology is supported by many 'races' means that if the objectors are against Islam, then this will cover a multitude of National racial groups. So, I may be against Islamists, but, not every Indonesian, Indian, Pakistani, Greenlander etc.

b) Even if we have the 'right' to be wrong, should we exercise it when a rational expose of issues is possible?
Posted by Reality Check, Wednesday, 2 January 2008 10:34:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Romany

Spot on.
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 2 January 2008 11:44:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Frank - thanks for the acknowledgment: I was beginning to feel like Sisyphus
Posted by Romany, Thursday, 3 January 2008 2:39:08 AM
Romany, I think that were Helen an undergraduate this kind of dilemma might be expected, but for a University educator to have to think so hard on this issue is a real worry. Ideology paints itself into a corner indeed.

I work on a construction site and daily work with people from Chinese, Indian, Italian, Serb, Croat, Lebanese, Anglo , Koori & Fijian origins, on a one to one level. There are Christians, Buddhists, Hindus and Moslems, at least. (even a Scientologist).

Banter and discussion on the subject of race and religion occurs but goes on with more wisdom and maturity than the prof. could muster.

It's articles like this that reinforce notions of the insular elitist left academic who is out of touch with the real world. That she eventually arrived at the place where we live is no more than a relief. Helens really gotta get out more and rub shoulders with us prols. abit more and discover that it is communication and the interaction and daily argy-bargy between people that will break down barriers. Not pious idealism.
Posted by palimpsest, Thursday, 3 January 2008 8:05:39 AM
Palimpsest,

It seems to me as though the wisdom and maturity, the banter and discussion exhibited on the construction site is sorely lacking on this thread. Do you, unlike me, know more about this author than is written in the brief biog.? (Which, btw, nowhere claims that she is a Professor).

If not, why should you assume that you and your workmates exhibit more aforesaid wisdom and maturity than the author could ever muster? What makes you think that Universities are not also full of people of all races and creeds? What would lead you to assume she needs to get out more if you have no idea of her lifestyle, habits and preferences? What additional knowledge do you have that leads you to to assume that she does not indeed come from a proletariat background?

If none of the above then surely the whole tenor of your post argues against your point: instead of exhibiting wisdom or maturity what emerges is intolerance and bias based simply upon her profession.

Rather like those sections of the community who consider all construction workers to be steel-capped yobbos, yeah?
Posted by Romany, Friday, 4 January 2008 7:27:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy