The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bringing the 'gynocide' home to Aurukun > Comments

Bringing the 'gynocide' home to Aurukun : Comments

By Caroline Spencer, published 18/12/2007

Gynocide: the idea that men create a social system where women live entirely as instruments of men’s interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
There are 2 issues here

1. Only "deserving" women can take sexual assault cases to court. In Victoria in the early 1970s that meant white, middle class, virgin of unimpeachable character. Clearly the woman who took Geoff Clark to court on rape charges failed one of those characteristics. This rolls through to other areas of justice. Many women have been denied justice in the workplace, in the courts and in their family life by this society's rigid application of madonna - whore dichotomy.

2. The very suggestion of sexual assault stirs the emotions of many people.
We demand the utmost punishment for those found guilty of sexual assault out of proportion to the actual damage inflicted with generally no consideration of restorative justice.
People committing more damaging assaults escape community outrage and as severe a sentence.
Posted by billie, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 12:19:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The core part of the cult of feminism is to stereotype and vilify the male gender, and to portray men as being abusers of “women and their children”.

I am a man, but I have never seen a rape.

I haven’t even seen a woman having sex with another man

I have never seen a gang of men attack a female.

I have never seen a woman with a black eye, amongst the many thousands of women I have seen (from Hobart to Cairns)

So what should I have to do to be a man as stereotyped by feminists?
Posted by HRS, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 12:40:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Uh-huh, dem eeevil boyz-to-menz strike again.

Typical blinkered view about gender identity politics. Feminists have raised one-way femicentric gender consciousness in recent decades. Using hideous acts of rape cynically employed to whip men with the guilt/shame schtick. You've zoned people out.

Feminists have themselves to blame, with the oppressor/oppressed victimology copout. They've realised how difficult it is to build consensus (feminism suffers deep ideological fragmentation, to the point that it means anything you choose, effectively meaning no-thing). Its avoided the hard self examination and broad based inclusiveness that will bring the masses of men on board, instead becoming defensive in the face of such notions, aka... attack mode.

Feminism has many parallels with unionism.

Politics is essentially about POWER. Its extremely difficult to negotiate. Each side seeks to control debate, define the terms in advance of agenda, namely... POWER. Everyone knows this and gets tired of quibbling behind the facade of illusions like equality.

Gender is a psycho-social construct, built upon projected insecurity of ego identity, predicated on reproductive biology. Essentially empty, having no basis in reality, merely imagined, constructed. Everyone bleeds red.

Men are currently fashioning discourse around their gender issues, under the radar. Not wanting to get shot down, men are figuring it out themselves. Excluded from public discourse, mediating personal changes and living them out. You can see them underfoot, the main one being doing your own thing, staying out of harms way and getting on with it. The world's a noisy place and everyone's got a basket of in-yer-face personal issues that you are expected to answer for.

Court/legal reform that men will support?... The family courts and family law. This area is a major obstacle that you have laid in your own path. A system administered on old world views of women, interpreted by old fashioned chivalrous patriarchs, ironically drawing no attention from equality minded, modern, independent types. Too much leverage/power to give up l suspect.

Responsibility, accountability and ownership is required by EVERYONE. Dont hold your breath, its someone elses' fault. We're all victims now.
Posted by trade215, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 1:12:01 PM
Oh dear!

another article written in an highly inflammatory manner, which kind of has the smell of a fire and brimestone preacher.

If one takes a look at the issue of consent, it was not until sometime around 1890 was the age of consent for girls raised from 11.

I thought Dworkin had died, but it seems that this author is her reincarnated.
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 6:01:33 PM
Uninformed,

This is a quite off-topic, however, your criticism of Robert Manne is quite wrong. Suicide bombing can indeed be brave, and indeed non-terrorist. It is not the act itself, but who it is directed against. Would an ANZAC who blew themselves up among advancing squad of Nazi's so their alliess can escape be considered a "terrorist" in your definition; I presume not. The suicide attack in Bali, against unarmed civilians, was indeed cowardly and terrorist. The same cannot necessarily be said of suicide bombers in Iraq, which the article you reference refers to - especially when they are against military and para-military targets.

As for his defense of the "Stolen Generation" I can only recommend his own work when debating Andrew Bolt on the matter: Please consider it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/robert-manne/the-cruelty-of-denial/2006/09/08/1157222325367.html

Col Rogue,

Margaret Thatcher is, and not for the first time, mistaken. After all, this is the person who claimed "And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families", ignoring the inherent contradiction of mentioning "families", which is certainly a social variable with differering cultural norms and ignoring the fact she used English!

So when she says she owe's nothing to Women's Lib, she may wish to consider the right of women to vote, to stand for public office and, of course, the cultural contribution of many and varied femists who showed that women can engage in public debate and discussion.

HRS,

Your anaedoctal evidence aside, empirically women are often the victims of violent and sexual crimes perpetrated by men. No collectively (as some would like to think) but individually. Please put aside the fact that you personally haven't seen a woman with a black eye from Cairns to Hobart and do some reading on domestic violence statistics; or at least talk to some people from a shelter on the matter.

JamesH,

You're right. Google the authors name, find out who her PhD supervisor is and then google that name. It is very revealing. (Let's just say "Not my idea of feminism", shall we?)
Posted by Lev, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 6:47:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lev,
What is anecdotal? This feminist is accusing me of somehow sexually exploiting women, because of some isolated incidents that have occurred in parts of Australia that I have never been in.

“and racism leading to Aboriginal women and girls being left unprotected from men”

“It refers to men creating a social system where women live entirely as instruments of men’s interests.”

"The idea can be most easily understood in relation to men’s sexual behaviour."

"Social institutions and individuals simply believe that women want whatever men do to them."

"Women always “consent”, in other words, because no view different to that held by men is permitted or recognised"

"But now the judiciary, as a major social institution, has said that even 10-year-old Aboriginal girls are part of the female group that men can legally buy for abuse."

The word “men” is being used quite heavily throughout, and it classifies ALL MEN as being one and the same.

But as a man, I have never carried out any of the things I am being accused of, so I accuse this feminist of discrimination.

The fact that she is studying for a PhD means absolutely nothing.
Posted by HRS, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 7:32:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy