The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are our children really sacred? > Comments

Are our children really sacred? : Comments

By Muriel Bamblett, published 14/12/2007

Child abuse - we will see it all again unless we throw out the existing models of child protection and foster care.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I thought at the time granting land tenure was s good idea. All it seems to have achieved is isolation and freedom for child abusers to commit incest.
This should surprise no one on reflection. Corruption of systems, even when primitive, is rife in history.
To have allowed the powerful, in this case elders, in a broken primitive society was a mistake promoted by guilt. Good intentioned whitefella's that gave them the power.
Since one must ask permission to travel visit and learn of these societies it is reasonable to expect exclusion, when the power is with the corrupt
Isolation has little chance of progressing a society.
With collapse of the male leadership, salvation is hoped for from the the female leader, some of whom have already stepped to the plate, I wish them well for it won't be easy.
They first must open their society to the scrutiny of the world, not
close the gates to those who would assist them in the long road back.
I don't mean the officials who spend their lives in universities and bureaucracies who comprehend only the learning passed to them by lecturer's hoping for acknowlegement, but ordinary people with their innate respect for difference. Sometimes rugged learning inspires, or maybe men like me are out of date?
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 11:53:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
fluff4
can you please tell us what particular racial/cultural aspects the 6 internet predator who were arrested share. Just recently wasn't a police prosecutor in NSW recently jailed for child sex related crimes. Is there something uncivilised/genetically deficient in these people - like their race (oops sorry but they come from non-indigenous Australia and others were caught overseas).

You might find it useful to follow up on the many times and ways in which Aboriginal peoples have documented these issues and pleaded for help. I suggest that you start at the SNAICC and HREOC websites.

Muriell wrote a strong paper to promote greater thought and sensitivity in child welfare. How about you add something constructive that relates to the article?

I would like to hear what others think of the third way and how it might be possible to maintain family contact/identity when there is geographical distance to contend with
Posted by Aka, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 4:55:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aka
I did make the suggestion "take down the fences" and by the way we were not talking about internet abuse but physical child abuse by adults who are probably related, with elders involved, if that is important.
I have no grievence to air, just an interest in a problem that didn't start last week, but has become almost as familia as it was fifty years ago when I was in Nwest Australia.
I can't help, but I wish the women who are trying, success.
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 18 December 2007 6:05:59 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS FLUFF4
I note in your last post you stated, you couldn't help, but are interested in the issue.

Yes, you CAN help, we can all help. We put our pens to papers, we can all write to our various Ministers, (State and Federal) including your local MP who will normally refer your issue on.

It's called people power, if enough people get behind issues they believe in - we can all make a difference.

Most people don't write to Ministers etc as they believe their grammar is not correct or they can't spell correctly.

My comment being - don't worry about the odd spelling or grammar error, it's the content and issue of the matter you are trying to get across that is relevant.

Not everyone is a scholar ...... go with your heart, do your research and start writing.
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 25 December 2007 9:17:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy