The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A 'sorry' budget - about $3 billion > Comments

A 'sorry' budget - about $3 billion : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 11/12/2007

What is the magical dollar figure that would go a long way to putting closure to the dark and disturbing chapter of the Stolen Generation?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
While i sympathise with the stolen generation i do not think they are more entitled to an apology than the 500,000 "Forgotten Australians".Apologies are just words and really are quite meaningless,especially when the apology is for what another generation has done.
I am part aboriginal and i don't give a damn if someone apologises or notIt makes no difference to me.I am and always have been me,REGARDLESS of heritage.
When i was made a state ward no one had any idea of my heritage and i will testify that we were all MISTREATED the same.
I have also spoken to aboriginal people who said"being taken from their natural parents,probably saved their lives".
Isn't it time we became Australians without feeling the need to be treated differently because we are of a different colour or religion?
The Forgotten Australians are still fighting for the right to be heard
and an aboriginal man was recently awarded over $500,000.
Forget your colour and stop the handouts,just get on with leading a decent life.
Posted by haygirl, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 12:05:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am shocked and concerned by the posts above.

In our society you get compensation for a broken nail yet you all want to deny fair and reasonable remedy for what has been endured.

There is a need to say Sorry.

Sit on the fence for 5 mintutes and there is no denying it.

It means more to hear it than it does to say it, and it will be the first bridge spanning between us that both mainstram Australia and Indigenous Australia can benefit from.

To say sorry for what has happenned is vitally important, and those that cannot comprehend why the government of Australia should say sorry for the sytematic mistreatment and countless horrors endured for 200 years must be one eyed.

Financial compensation for the stolen generation is far more complex but any monies given should be given in the way of appreciating assets that provide an income, such as properties unencumbered with a rental return that can be used as income stream.

Being impartial, places of little economic hope and with no services or employment we realy should look at ways and means of either making the community viable, or bite the bullet and realise that there is no use being here pouring money into a community that survives on government assistance.

It is traditional land and the home for these people for thousands of years, it should be a sanctuary for them rather than the only hope of a future if it is not there. there needs to be easy pathways out of these communites on offer.

Coming from the bush, my community was never going to provide me with what I wanted out of life. It was impossible with population base, employment options and services to acheive anything in this community for most children. It is great to have a place to come back to and call home, but even better go back home knowing you are making a good life for yourself, and lack of opportunity and percieved hope is the driving force of problems in these communities.
Posted by Realist, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 12:13:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, well, if Prime Minister Rudd does say "sorry", "God save Australia" from the greedy palates of libertarian and humanitarian lawyers who will deliver, at a high fee, a rich feast of compensation to the "stolen generations" through "activists" judges at taxpayers' expense.

See more--http://kotzabasis3.wordpress.com
Posted by Themistocles, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 1:38:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There was an interesting program on Landline last weekend where a white husband and wife couple set up a bushtucker farming program called Outback Pride http://www.outbackpride.com.au. It farms native foods in about 20 places around the country for selling in gourmet shops. What they did was to staff it exclusively with Aboriginals to give them a chance to both make a quid and be a part of the mainstream economy.

This seems like a good way to go: give people an genuine opportunity to make a go of it for themselves. As Col rightly says, too much handout money is not good for people.
Posted by RobP, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 3:05:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"it just didn’t have that charismatic ring to it that matched the Paul Keating acceptance speech back in 2003.

Keating announced at 11.30pm on the close of polls on that famous night: "This is the sweetest victory of all. This is a victory for the true believers" - to celebrate a win achieved primarily because of John Hewson's proposal to introduce a goods and services tax."

Unless I was really on another planer Paul Keating was not Prime Minister in 2003!

What a scam artist this author is, sure children were removed from their parents. They were removed because they were at risk! and this was according to the ethos of that period of time, where not only black, but white children as well were removed from their parents and place in institutions.

To claim money simply because people who are no longer alive, made decisions to try and improve the life expectancy of aborignal children is pure fraud.

My ex-mother in law is aboriginal and she dosen't beleive in the mythical 'stolen generation.'
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 3:08:15 PM
Reynard wrote:
While the process was clumsy, mismanaged, and at times abused the thought behind it was for the general good.

The thought behind the "policy" was not "good"
Please read about the "Aboriginal Protection Act" and learn about its purpose!
Posted by Ron H, Tuesday, 11 December 2007 3:30:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy