The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pollie wants a wedgie > Comments

Pollie wants a wedgie : Comments

By Graham Ring, published 9/11/2007

Pollies who don’t believe in anything don’t deserve to be elected.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Pollies do believe in something; and they believe it very strongly, often so strongly there is no place for any other ideas in their tiny brains. They believe they want to get elected. Often they don't really know why, other than that it seems a good idea. In many cases, particularly on the Left, it is because they are being rewarded for the requisite number of years served as a union or party hack. The ALP gene pool is very shallow!

The Right aren't any better. Any one with rightist beliefs and an ounce of brains is out there turning themselves into multi-millionaires. Consequently what the Liberals are left with is those people who subscribe to the idea of the unfettered market economy but don't have the brains to do anything about it. Perhaps Malcolm Turnbull is the exception which proves this rule - having made a squillion he is now bored of making more money than he needs and is indulging himself playing politics. He is like an old time Gentleman cricketer - the true amateur politician. Perhaps this is a good thing?

Just how many candidates in this election have any real life experience? Damn few!
Posted by Reynard, Friday, 9 November 2007 10:14:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HEY MATE, THIS IS 2007! Wake up, this is like a game of chess now! You don't want to loose your best pieces early in the game? We couldn't have a train-driver as Prime Minister these days.We have all these failed lawyers, who like "Prime Minister elect"- COSTELLO, who gets to be P.M.without being elected: who says on National Radio that the highest rate in JOHN HOWARD'S TIME was 13.5% and that's the truth! Except in a COURT you have to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!Which is, that the rate was capped!The Bank's lending policy was then, we can get 22% so we don't lend on home mortgages. See! that's what you want now! an expert treasurer who can keep us all in the dark and grow like good little mushrooms!
Posted by TINMAN, Friday, 9 November 2007 10:44:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your suggestion of a 'Wedge register',if possible, would only be a measure of the conscience of the voters. It could not improve the quality of our politicians.
Posted by Alcap, Friday, 9 November 2007 11:14:44 AM
POLLIES WHO DON'T BELIEVE in anything.... don't deserve to be elected!

So, goes the headline for this thread.

I rather agree.

I'd rather see a man stand up and say "THIS....is where I stand... if you (the electorate) want me.. and my values.. then vote me into office."

A longggg time ago in a far away place, the children of Israel were faced with such a choice. Moses was late coming down from the mountain, so they said "aaah.. to heck with it.. lets build a golden calf.. then we will have a god" and the immorality which ensued.. was so debaucherous it defies all but the most inventive suspense/sex thriller author to describe.

Moses finally arrived and asked point blank "Who...is on the Lords side?"

Joshua son of Nun came forward and said "As for me, and my house, we will follow the Lord"

HAROLD ROBBINS... Author. He had it all. Money.. Power.. fabulously wealthy, used it all for his fleshly appetites. Inviting people to orgies, drug and alchohol binges... over and over like there was no tomorrow.....

But then... his end must have been one of the most lonely imaginable.
Having abandoned God in the midst of fleshly persuits, alone, in horrible pain.. suffering... all the money gone... friends...gone...to whom can such a man call in his darkest hour?

We all have 'choice'...

Its not just 'firm belief' we need from our politicians. But firm belief in SOMETHING WORTHWHILE.. and for me, and my house, that is Christ Jesus.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 9 November 2007 12:35:09 PM
I can't see Christ Jesus running in my electorate.
Posted by keith, Friday, 9 November 2007 2:00:40 PM
When politicians care more about getting elected than making a change, we get poor government.

Let them speak thier full agenda and thier total vision and then let the electorate decide.

Of course people like this don't get pre-selected by the political parties.

This is why I run as an independent.
Posted by StewartGlass, Friday, 9 November 2007 2:11:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Keith, Actually Jesus is running in your local electorate, he's running for your heart and soul at your local church. Better still if your local church believes and acts upon Acts 2:38. Check out John 1:1-10 and 1 Timothy 3:16

Baptism here refers to full immersion under water, not a sprinkle upon ones head.
Acts 2:38 (Amplified Bible)

38And Peter answered them, Repent (change your views and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it) and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of and release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1 Timothy 3:16 (King James Version)

16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 1:1-10 (King James Version)

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2The same was in the beginning with God.
3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

thanks z
Posted by zahira, Sunday, 11 November 2007 8:26:01 AM
Thats funny Boaz because the extremist lunatic fringe party - Family First - the political arm of HillSong are the worst of the meaningless parties and besides Rudd is a Jesus groupy. Frankly I cannot think of one single Christian politician who is at least a half decent person. Jesus seems to bring the worst of people to the fore.

The problem we now face is not that politicians dont worship idols, the problem is our political system belongs in the 19th century. We can point our finger at meglamaniacs such as Howard and Rudd and pity ourselves over their piety and faith in distain but its not only their parents that are total failures , we are failures for allowing democracy to die at the hands of "the party". Before the uber-patriots pushed for becoming a republic they should have petitioned for democracy.

Despite Howards climate change we had to have and his high interest rates we had to have and his war we had to have and his over taxing we had to have and his working poor we had to have and his cultural revolution ;and despite Rudds extremely amazing talent for being annoying and punters are putting odds on Rudd as being just as incompetent a leader as Howard I take stock from many lately who words are wisest,

"It could be worst , Costello could have been Prime Minister"
Posted by West, Tuesday, 13 November 2007 9:38:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy