The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Forgotten Australians ask us: what sort of country are we really? > Comments

The Forgotten Australians ask us: what sort of country are we really? : Comments

By Angela Sdrinis, Richard Hil and Nick Rose, published 7/11/2007

If compassion for those in need is an 'Australian value', we must give our attention to those who suffered abuse in institutional care.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I found this site quite by accident. I have been on a six year journey in seeking retribution/compensation for children of child abuse suffered whilst in domiciled in institutions from the 1930 to 1980's - Salvation Army, Church and/or Government Institutions. I wasn't abused as a child. I was not brought up in an institution. My quest is in my mother's name. Her estate left some funds to a "charity" that was involved with abuse to children whilst domiciled within their homes. My mother would abhor that any of her funds were bequeathed to ANY "charity" that abused children. I sent a letter in support to the Senate Enquiry in abuse of children conducted in 2004. We now have a new Government. Most people say to these victims "get over it". My comment being - "walk a mile in their shoes" for what they have endured. These children didn't ask to be born, these children deserved the best care available - did they get it - no they didn't. These children deserved love, care and affection - did they get it - no they didn't. I will continue in my mother's name in seeking retribution/compensenation for all children abused whilst institutionalised. This is a national shame.
Posted by SAINTS, Saturday, 15 December 2007 6:48:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SAINTS

It's good that you've stumbled over this site.

Do you know about CLAN (Care Leavers of Australia Network)?
www.clan.org.au
1800 008 774

They were instrumental, with Senator Andrew Murray, in getting the Senate to investigate the experiences of children who grew up in orphanages and other forms of out-of-home 'care'.

CLAN is pushing in each State to have redress and compensation for those whose lives were wrecked by the way they were abused as children. They need all the support they can get because Governments, churches and charities duck for cover when these matters are raised.
Posted by FrankGol, Saturday, 15 December 2007 7:56:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
FrankGol

Thank you for feedback. I am aware of Clan and the great work they did in order for the Senate Enquiry to happen, they continue to fight for justice our children (now adults)- I sincerely applaud their efforts. My quest is for Statute of Limitations to be lifted in all States to enable criminal charges be laid against these evil people who supposedly "cared" for "our" children under the "cloth of God" and in the name of God. No God that I know would support such cowardly actions being perpetrated on "our" innocent children. WA and SA have lifted the Statute of Limitations. Criminal charges have been laid on many so-called people of the "faith" for the abuse to children whilst institutionalised. We need ALL States to lift their Statute of Limitations, we also require a Royal Commission into Child Abuse, this is the only way in which these perpetrators of "our" children will be brought to justice.
Posted by SAINTS, Sunday, 16 December 2007 9:50:53 AM
SAINTS

In Victoria, judges are using case precedent to deal with the Statute of Limitations. You have to show good reasons why you took so long to bring your complaint to court. That's not impossible e.g. I was intimidated. I told the boss but he hit me over the head and told me I was a filthy liar.

e.g. I was put into a Psychiatric hospital for ten years because they said I was mad and no-one would listen to me.

The recent case involving rape in the Warrnambool area is an example of the Statute being waived and with a good outcome for the woman concerned.

Good on you for persevering. It takes courage and persistent not to mention resilience.

Good luck!
Posted by FrankGol, Sunday, 16 December 2007 12:00:28 PM
Frankgol
Thank you for responding.
In the years of my research what have I found -
Salvation Army advise not many children were abused whilst in their care in their homes. This comment has now been exposed as incorrect with many cases of child abuse now coming to the fore. Salvation Army believe saying sorry is enough. Words are cheap. What price do you place on a child's life that has been sexually and emotionally abused - all under the Mantra of God.
2. A Salvation Army Officer was awarded an OBE for service. This person was certainly at the forefront of abuse to children within an institution in which he was in charge of. There is currently a letter to Government for this OBE to be returned.
3. Salvation Army, Catholic Church and State Governments have much to answer for, for the abuse which occured to children whilst in their care.
Why haven't complainants pursued their case -
1. The above engage top of the town lawyers in order to defend their coffers.
2. Most of the above have no legal entity in order to be sued for abused children to take up their case. Their structure is no different to a tuck shop - so unable to be sued. So what avenue does that leave for an abused child seeking justice - basically none. The above have certainly done their homework.
This is why I am communicating with Ministers etc in seeking for our Statute of Limitations to be lifted or a Royal Commission in abuse of children whilst institutionalised, whereby these perpetrators of abuse can be supoened in a court of law.
I can write PAGES on this matter due to my years of research. I note the horrific letters I read (for all to peruse) that were submitted to the Senate Enquiry in 2004
I am a catholic by birth. My entire faith was ROCKED 6 years ago at the commencement of my journey in child abuse.
continuing .......
Posted by SAINTS, Monday, 17 December 2007 6:15:33 PM
SAINTS

Good on you. I appreciate what you are trying to do for the Forgotten Australians.

It takes courage and tenacity, especially in the face of abuse and lack of sympathy and understanding by people like those on this website who tell us all to "get over it" like "it" was a dose of the measles.

Best wishes for Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Frank
Posted by FrankGol, Monday, 17 December 2007 7:52:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy