The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kevin: the morning after > Comments

Kevin: the morning after : Comments

By Tim Anderson, published 7/11/2007

Progressives have become so obsessed with the 'get rid of Howard' campaign that they speak little of the issues.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The 'vote Howard out' camp do not want a carbon copy of the Liberal Party and maybe Rudd will fit that label all too well, but there are glimpses of hope that there will also be a greater social conscience when it comes to pensions, climate change and industrial relations and indeed on other social justice issues.

That is why it is important more than ever to put some Greens, Democracts and good independents in the Senate to ensure some scrutiny and review of impending legislation. Never again should a democratic country accept a governing party's arrogance in introducing major change without advising the electorate prior to an election. Whether or not one agrees with WorkChoices, it speaks to the very heart of democracy.

It is true that Rudd is yet to prove his worth and integrity as a leader but Howard has proven himself over and over again in continuing sagas of dishonesty and poor decision making - AWB, Tampa, WMD/Iraq, David Hicks just to name a few.

While the Rudd government does not come with a guarantee, we are all too aware of the potential consequences of another Howard government. And I should add that many years ago I used to vote Liberal when they represented the small businessperson, fair trading and competition, did not sell off our public assets and were not governing just for one particular interest group -the big end of town.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:48:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In a supposedly democratic country, the people get the leaders they deserve.

I don't hear anyone saying we should take a good look at ourselves and our faults. We just seem to be interested in our chosen leaders faults.

Remember that Australia voted Howard in last time based on Tampa (fear - security) and interest rates (fear - economic stability). Have either of these fears eventuated? Hardly. Today's interest rate announcement adds a nice touch of irony. The last Liberal electoral campaign was based on fear - and the country fell for it.

When are we all going to grow up and actually start thinking for ourselves, and for this world, before it deteriorates beyond any hope of repair?

You really think that the pollies can save us from our own excesses? How very naive.

Remember what happened to the political leaders on Easter Island when the last tree was chopped down?

They were eaten by the people.....

Mmmmmm may I have fries with that please?
Posted by spritegal, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:53:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
spritegal

Of course we all have faults and excesses - we are not perfect - I am not sure what your point is. BUT this article was about those that would "vote Howard out" and, while the race has not yet begun, it is because we are thinking for ourselves that it looks very much like Labor will win. Maybe you can fool the people for some of the time (eg. Tampa) but not all of the people all of the time - now that there is a perception of a real alternative.

In addition I am not standing as a representative for my electorate so my faults are probably not going to affect the people around me as much as our elected politicians.

Do we get the leaders we deserve? I don't know the answer to that. If you look at the total of the primary vote last election it was higher for Labor perhaps indicating that there was a move for change but it did not make it past the post under a proportional system of representation.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 6:29:34 PM
Those are pretty good points you raise pelican...

My point? Really just exasperation at the multitudes not realising that we vote these "sycophants" in (please insert "any party" here) and then we whinge about them after voting them in. I can't see the logic in that. Not terribly constructive to whinge after the deed is done, either...

You are also right about the majority vote. It all comes down to seats and by my counting Labor are still 2 behind. So they have their work cut out for them, especially in Victoria.

I despair of the political system in this country and do recall that France tried a similar system out not that long ago and realised it was totally unworkable as being truly representative of the people's opinion. So they chucked it. Why on EARTH do we still have it?

Its an interesting thought...but lets not get into conspiracy theory.
Posted by spritegal, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 7:01:03 PM
The Australian Government is thinking about creating a blog to let the public discuss public policy and proposed legislation.

If you'd like some input to how this blog might work please take this quick survey at

www.openforum.com.au/Survey

This could lead to politicians listening to the people for the change so please give your views if you can.

Thanks.
Posted by nickmallory, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 8:16:27 PM
CITIZENSHIP IS AT THE HEART OF RUDDS CAMPAIGN.

The Rudd, Gillard, Swan’s "whole team" understand the Micro and Macro forces within the Australian economy.

The ALP understands innovative people like myself. Those who gave everything to a small business and lost everything JUST for having a GO.

Howards Ministers failed to access the "risk factors" . They failed to monitor ground levels. They failed to address life-style issues (the invisibles) facing rural-economics in micro-areas. This earned us a backward “cultural cringe”.

The ALP understands the external, cultural and political indices contributing to a downhill slide in the local based regional economy.

ALP understands national stability and the potential within Australia’s “whole” labor force. The principal; “every citizen has the right to work”.

The ALP understands you cant build a economy on a table with NO LEGS.

That a economy running fast with No Legs, will over-heat fast, collapse, taking those “risking debt + mortgage “ with it.

The USA reflects the warning, Japan learnt it’s lesson last decade. China may have it’s turn sooner, than later.

Prevention through structural economic’s is the absolute KEY from the bottom UP. This is primary - economic infrastructure.

This liberal government actually “transferred the risk” to citizens, by not addressing the nations “micro-skills” base. We/I are blamed, vilified for becoming structurally displaced.

How many on this National OLO have skills, a technical/education/degree and industrial-experience and, spent heaps to get it.

How many of us fell from opportune careers, within this last decade, through fowl play because we had NO REPRESENTATION, access to face-to-face legal aid or; a COUNCIL WHO CARED?

How many of us used our courage – to squeal, disclose openly, press our case to problem-solve.

HOW MANY GOVERNMENT INDIVIDUALS PAID TO ASSIST, OVER THESE YEARS, KNOW HOW TO ASSIST?

I know Rudd’s and Howard have heard me.

I know it is Howard’s own Ministers who failed Me.

I.e.: The DISCRIMINATION and “STONE-WALLING” I have experienced is wrong, hostile, a-typical, illiberal, a government-administration from “fly-in” club-med.

NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE.

It is they who Failed, Not Me.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 9:10:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy