The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Oldies' windfall at nation's expense > Comments

Oldies' windfall at nation's expense : Comments

By Alan Moran, published 5/11/2007

The Coalition’s targeting of the pensioner vote is forcing one set of taxpayers to give support to others.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
TurnRightThenLeft,

Don't yet have a heart attack, it has troll written all over it.
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 4:07:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What an unbelievably selfish article. Many people who work in charities and frontline government services will tell you how tough it is for pensioners under the Coalition Government. The standard of living for pensioners (not only the Aged but Disabled etc) has declined in real terms given the unfair indexation of pensions.

Retired pensioners have in the main made a lifetime of contriubtions to public infrastructure and maintained another set of pensioners during their working life.

This sort of article is just wedge politics and only seeks to divide rather than ask what sort of society is it we wish to aspire to where no person should be expected to live in borderline poverty regardless of age or circumstances.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:56:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Youngies windfall at the expense of oldies"
Posted by michael2, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 7:37:02 PM
I see your point fluff, though when I see see posts like that, be they trolling or otherwise, I feel the need to point out their glaring exaggeration and dodgy arguments.

The ole 'You're just Hitler!' chestnut is rolled out frequently, and generally comes when people can't put together a decent argument.

There's actually a name for this: 'Reductio ad Hitlerum.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

But yeah, like I said, it's a weak argument and should be exposed as such.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 8 November 2007 1:44:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy