The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Remembering Australian Child Slavery > Comments

Remembering Australian Child Slavery : Comments

By Richard Hil, Joanna Penglase and Gregory Smith, published 26/10/2007

Slavery involving Indigenous, migrant and non-Indigenous children in Australia goes back to the earliest convict days and endured throughout the last century.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Frank,you were spot on when you said "that's the way things were".I'm 55 and until recently i never queried the way i and others were treated in those "hell holes".That's the way things were in those days.It's really only the last few years that former inmates of those various institutions have started to question the care(or lack of)we received.I suppose most of us have been busy trying to make lives for ourselves,some with only the basic skills in the three R's,some with ongoing physical problems caused by the beatings and lack of proper nourishment.I said to someone the other day that i was lucky because i wasn't treated as badly as some and that person asked me how i would feel if my children or grandchildren were treated like i had been.My immediate reaction was HORROR.Funny how i could accept that life for myself yet see it as barbaric if the same were metered out to my family.
Posted by haygirl, Saturday, 3 November 2007 6:36:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy