The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New right leadership? > Comments

New right leadership? : Comments

By Graham Young, published 15/10/2007

John Howard triangulates while Kevin Rudd reiterates - what's the difference?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
BOAZ_David,

You raise an interesting and valid point, what would they do if they truly had the heart of Jesus? Well of course they don't, who does, or can really?

With regard to JH in particular and KR to a lesser degree, my thoughts often turn to the scripture, "What you did for the least, you also did for me". What has JH done for the least exactly? It stikes me this man cares for the likes of big business and big mates who attack defenceless countries far more than the under privileged.

Would Jesus have left starving refugees sitting in a boat off the mainland when he could've let them in?

Would he then have sent them off to detention centres to live like criminals for up to 3 years, going insane?

Would he leave someone, with no legitimate evidence of committing a serious crime, sitting in a jail to be tortured under circumstances we would never permit in our own country, and then to finally be tried under a court of law that would neither be permitted in Australia?

Would he allow the health system to crumble under his nose whilst diverting $3 billion into private health care?

And neither do I believe that Jesus would create a state of fear of others amongst us, forever alluding that the rights of Australians are for some reason more important than those of anybody else in this world, coining the phrase "aspirational nationalism".

I'm sorry but I just don't come across those kind of values in the Bible. It disgusts me that JH has presided over and perpetuated this kind of mentality for the last 11 years. Yet so many Christians, my mother included, continue to vote for him/them because they are supposedly conservative, as if that's all that matters.

For myself, I'll be voting for the Greens as they seem to be the only party that have an ethical grounding, though I hope KR does win ultimately.

After all, wasn't Jesus considered the radical of his day?
Posted by JOSIED, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 12:46:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Josied...

I have to agree that much would be done differently if our leaders had the heart of Jesus... but looking at how Jesus approached many situations.. I don't think any of us can truly predict how He would have reacted.

For example.. lets take the issue of 'refugees' sitting in a boat off shore.. starving?
If they were in serious medical or food need, whether or not they were accepted here, we should clearly ensure they had enough to eat, and had some kind of access to medical help.

Remember how Jesus reacted to the trap "Should we pay taxes to Caesar"?
He responded "Pay to Caesar that which is Caesars" (he had taken a coin in his hand.. and Caesars image was on it)
In other words.. he deferred to 'authority' in so far as it has the legitimate interests of state in mind.
The issue of refugees and those portraying themselves as such.. is an emotive issue, which divides many of us. Rather than express a strong view either way, and in so doing bring down the real focus which is the Lord Jesus, to partisan politics, let me just say.. 'there is much to do' on all sides of these questions.

I am re-assured by the Lords own words "My kingdom is not 'of' this world.."...

But I do know one thing.. when a society is overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit..and a nations turns its heart to the Lord God in humble repentance.. He will indeed heal their land, and their community.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Chronicles+7:14

An example of the above is found here.
http://www.welshrevival.com/lang-en/1904history.htm

"A century ago Wales experienced the last National Religious Revival, a revival that brought in an extra 100,000 new converts according to the estimates of the time, and a movement that quickly spread to the 4 corners of the World."

The Lord does not support any particular party...He supports the concept of 'righteous authority'.

Unfortunately, most of us get the polticians we deserve...and vote for..and out vote is often based on very self serving reasons...
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 9:28:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I TOO, AM A HOWARD CRITIC, BUT I'M NOT LETTING HIM DRAW MY VITRIOL BY SPLITTING VOTERS TO "LOVERS OR LOATHERS" OF HIMSELF!THE LABOR PARTY IS NOT RIGHT TO GO ALONG ON CAPITAL PUNISHMENT AND THE TASSIE PULP MILL. BUT THAT'S MY OPINION!I FEEL, A WILY OLD POLLIE LIKE OUR JOHNNIE KNOWS HOW TO RUN AN ELECTION. A STRONG LEADER APPEALS TO THE FLOCK.I'D TELL HIM TO MIND HIS OWN BEESWAX! WHEN HE SAYS TO RUDD,"I'VE SHOWN YOU MINE, NOW YOU SHOW ME YOURS!I'D REPLY. "I'LL SHOW THE PEOPLE , AFTER THE ELECTION, WHEN WE'VE DONE OUR SUMS WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT TAX CUTS!"REMEMBER YOU'RE THE BLOKE WHO SAID "NO G.S.T.EVER EVER!"IF THERE'S 43 BILLION TO SPARE WE'LL MAY BE BETTER YOURS! HOWARDS SPEECH GIVES HIM AWAY, CONTRAST HIM WITH MENZIES, HE'S DESPERATE! I LOVE HIM LIKE THAT!
Posted by TINMAN, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 12:01:28 PM
All this speculation about "what would Jesus do" is interesting.

>>but looking at how Jesus approached many situations.. I don't think any of us can truly predict how He would have reacted.<<

From the stories told about him, it would appear that he never actually took responsibility for anything - in a terrestrial sense, naturally - which would qualify him perfectly as our Prime Minister.

He also big-noted himself, with all that son-of-God routine. Ideally suited.

However, he never seemed to boss anyone about, or tell them what to do. Instead, he dished out plenty of advice, most of which was straightforward "motherhood".

So all in all, Let's think. No responsibility, plenty of gratuitous advice... no, he wouldn't have been a politician.

Jesus would have been a consultant.

And if proof were needed:

A surgeon, a civil engineer, and a consultant were arguing about the oldest profession in the world.

The doctor observed, "Well, in the Bible, it says that God created Eve from a rib taken out of Adam. This clearly required surgery, and so I can rightly claim that mine is the oldest profession in the world."

The civil engineer disagreed "Even earlier in the book of Genesis, it states that God created the order of the heavens and the earth from out of the chaos. This was the first and certainly the most spectacular application of civil engineering. Therefore, Monsieur doctor, you are wrong: mine is the oldest profession in the world."

The consultant leaned back in her chair, smiled, and then said confidently, "Ah, but who do you think created the chaos?"
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 1:24:16 PM
With the Libs now gaining a little on Labour, we might expect to see that fanatical look coming back on certain prominent politicos, with Howard playing the part as he performs his morning walk, yet more befitting the need for a stiff-armed salute from passers by rather than the casual backhand to brow of the Aussie digger.

Yes, one is starting to feel a little sympathy for that half-scared look in the eyes of Rudd, wondering if it could mean a better political future with him than those with eyes as cold and confident as those of the leaders of the Exclusive Brethren

Certainly it is strange that nervousness can be more human and heart-warming than machine-like ultra-confidence will ever be
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 5:09:29 PM
Hi BOAZ_David,

Point taken, it is likely that they weren't 'starving' refugees, but destitute none-the-less, or at least should've been treated as such until proven other wise, in my opinion.

You make a great point when you say "most of us get the politicians we deserve...and vote for". This is very true, hence where we are today. Howard's actions say so much about our identity as a nation and how we think collectively. I also accept that Howard's position on refugees is such, sadly, because he already knew that this is how Australians as a whole think and feel. His thoughts were correct, as proven by his subsequent re-election. It this part of our Australian identity that disturbs me most, as it perpetuates fear and racism. "God did not give us a spirit fear, but of love, power and a sound mind", and he teaches us to love everyone equally, doesn't he?

The point I'm trying to make is that I question Howard's ethical positions. I don't genuinely feel that he his a Christian in the full sense of the word, and it frustrates me that he has sold himself as one. Equally, I'm frustrated that the ethical position of so many Australians seems to support his views. For those don't support his views, this may well be their only "Christian" representation. The man is a great politician, but a great man...? Not to me.

Never the less, I doubt much will change, regardless of who we ultimately elect, our laid back Australian way has led us down the garden path of complacency. More than terrorism, climate change and a failing economy, that is the greatest thing we have to fear.
Posted by JOSIED, Friday, 19 October 2007 10:06:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy