The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Silent tears > Comments

Silent tears : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 22/10/2007

Auntie Rhonda tells her story and that of four generations in her family - all of them from the 'stolen generation'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I doubt whether the likes of CJ Morgan or Frankgol have ever spent any time with aboriginals in communities. They certainly display a great ignorance of the issues which they accuse others of having. They seem to have this blind philosophy that it is only those on the left that have any compassion and yet many serving the aboriginals in remote areas are either cashing in on jobs because they can't get them elsewhere or because they are genuine about their concern for the plight of the people. They accuse the right of a political agenda and ignore their own philosophical failures with the aboriginals over the last 60 years.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 11:08:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One might well ask why it is that more "Aboriginals" can't follow the example of Stephen's family. His grandfather and his father seem to have overcome the odds and done all right for themselves in the white community. Stephen himself is showing the benefit of what an education can do.

Stephen, it is all very well, telling the story of those who have had trouble fitting in with the white community, but a few more stories of those like your grandfather, who have succeeded might do something to encourage those who are finding it difficult to do something useful with their lives. As it is, all we seem to be getting is these "sob stories" and it is no wonder that our American lady thinks that Aboriginals are a bunch of "no hopers". You and I know differently, but you need to keep telling the world.

Perhaps a few success stories of those who were "Stolen" might also be included. I'm sure there are plenty of those out there too, if one cares to look.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 11:26:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an Australian working O/S who was/is a fence sitter on the subject matter that is raised in "Silent Tears" it is difficult to explain simply the realtionship between the indigenous people and "Australians" per se.
I've read the book, seen the movie, worked in remote & rural healthcare, lived next door and still managed to ignore what is being expressed by our indigenous population.
The cultural step of 40,000 years to now is massive; so is the apathy shown by both groupings!
But experience shows that the initial small steps being undertaken by Aboriginal Elders and the like is changing the mindset of the indigenous and 'white' populations. The significant changes in the realtionship between Indigenous & White as well as improved living standards in the Nor West is documented and evident to locals.
In the post on 'Silent Tears' there is a sense of growth and achievement presented by Ruth Collard by her ability to talk, her offspring being able to walk tall and proud but more importantly Ruth's sense of pride in her family.
Only by positive exposure of past events can integration be achieved without rancor nor a need of apology - acceptance of self and others is the greater love.
However I am still tongue tied and embarassed by my inability to rationalise the great disparity between Aborignals and whites in Australia when asked a 'Black Bermudans' or 'Afro-Americans' who accept me as I am.
Posted by 4orty2, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 4:21:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner

Why not comment on the content of what I say - and just what I say - rather than cast doubts on whether I (or CJ Morgan) "have ever spent any time with aboriginals in communities". As it happens I have, but what's your point: that the only people who can discuss death are those already dead?

You accuse us of having "this blind philosophy that it is only those on the left that have any compassion". Which part of my post (or CJM's) made that claim? Who mentioned this left-right tosh?

You seem to want to have it both ways: we can't know anything because we have no direct experience; but "many serving the aboriginals in remote areas are either cashing in on jobs because they can't get them elsewhere or because they are genuine about their concern for the plight of the people". What are you trying to say?

David VK3AUU,

You seem to have have a pretty patronising and ethnocentric view of what counts as success. Stephen's OK is he because he fits in well and has "done all right for [himself] in the white community"?

We accept Stephen, do we, bacause he "is showing the benefit of what an education can do"?

We don't like "sob stories" because some American will think that Aboriginals are a bunch of "no hopers". Superior intellects like you "know differently" but Stephen needs to keep telling the world. Maybe you too, David, could tell the world. Let's keep the world "nice", eh?
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 9:25:36 AM
Frankgol

You ask '. Which part of my post (or CJM's) made that claim? Who mentioned this left-right tosh?

CJM quotes Auntie Rhonda in being uncomfortable around white people. He then adds 'Particularly people like Boazy, runner and lizz-the-yank/Pocahontas (in the unlikely event that she ever actually met an Aboriginal person), no doubt. The inference here is obvious.

Having spent considerable time with aboriginal people it is obvious how your and CJ's hate for anything Christian leads you to wrong conclusions. I have a good relationship with a wide range of aboriginal people who know the difference between someone who wants to help them as opposed to pushing some symbolic political gesture.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 11:50:12 AM
Runner

I asked you: Which part of my post (or CJM's) made a claim about left and right? You fail to answer in respect of me, obviously because you couldn't find anything about left or right in my post. Your reference to CJM also fails to disclose reference to left-right, which is now shown to be a figment of your own over-heated brain. Your inability to follow an argument is transparent.

Now you try a new tack: "it is obvious how your and CJ's hate for anything Christian leads you to wrong conclusions". I can't speak for CJM on this, but I can categorically state that I do not hate Christians; and so I ask you again: where in my post do I demonstrate hatred of Christians?

I referred to David BOAZ's lack of compassion as a self-nominated Christian. I said that Jesus would have understood Rhonda's story. I would have thought that my sentiment was a compliment to Christians who, I believe, are compassionate. At least that's what I've found among my truly Christian friends. BOAZ often quotes the Bible but I find him singularly lacking in empathy and understanding. So I don't regard him as a typical representative of Christianity.

I'm pleased to know that you think you "have a good relationship with a wide range of aboriginal people who know the difference between someone who wants to help them as opposed to pushing some symbolic political gesture". But what's your point?
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 12:17:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All