The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Howard earns interest on rates > Comments

Howard earns interest on rates : Comments

By Graham Young, published 28/9/2007

Our qualitative survey shows the Howard Government ahead of Labor on interest rates, with a potential to swing votes back.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Come on Graham. If you are going to pretend to run an opinion site you should label items like this as advertising. For HowHard.

Your "analysis" lacks any real support. You even state up front you framed the questions to achieve a result, without specifying what result you wanted. It's obvious regardless.

For example you say interest rates aren't as much of an issue for renters as home owners or potential buyers. Hello! The renters are far more preoccupied with trying to pay their rent and know they are unlikely to ever own a home. Why should they even think about rates when they are barely surviving?

That comment of yours is like saying people who drive cars are more worried about petrol prices than people who ride bicycles. Ridiculous, yes?

Look at the front page of today's Courier Mail if you want to see what HowHard offers. He tells us food prices will go through the roof. Duh. We actually shop John, you don't. Those prices have been sykrocketing for the last 2 years while ABS continue to show otherwise. No suspicion there at all!

You seem to be trying to make the point that has recently been exposed as complete rubbish. That is the point that government's can keep interest rates down. HowHard hasn't over the last 3 years has he? I suppose Labor is to blame for that. HowHard blames everyone but himself but screamed at as last election that he could keep them down.

Where's your evidence that he can please?

Explain to us how HowHard is better for us than Rudd. The man is 68 and all he has on his mind is retiring whilst depriving Costelloe of the PM's job. That's all. Rudd will be there for the long term during which we will grow to hate and detest him. But right now, we have a tired, vicous, greedy and secretive old man who is past his use by date trying to keep even his own Party away from facts.

By the way I dislike both Parties for one reason. Neither work for us.
Posted by RobbyH, Friday, 28 September 2007 1:00:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What fascinates me is the possibility of history repeating itself. If Rudd is elected, he could well go the way of David Longe, who became Prime Minister of New Zealand in 1983. His predecessor, Piggy Muldoon, (of blessed memory; no-one who tells the president of Nigeria to consult a taxidermist can be all bad), had left the country up to its ears in debt; then Longe played silly buggers with the Americans over allowing nuclear-powered warships into NZ ports, and after NZ was kicked out of ANZUS Wall Street decided that it would be a great time to call in the NZ foreign debt. All of the major banks there had great trouble refinancing their US$ debt, and housing interest rates rose to around 25%. All the signs are that we are approaching a major world debt crisis, and something like this would just top it off.

What is even more fascinating to contemplate is that if Howard were defeated in a landslide, losing both the Senate and the House, that the new Senators wouldn't take their places until 1/7/08, and so if this crisis occurred next year in February or March, and Rudd had caused an explosion in housing rates, it would be a great time for the old Senate to refuse supply.

The moral of all this is that the key word is confidence. Howard steered us through the Asian financial crisis of 1997 with hardly a ripple. How would newboy Rudd go?
Posted by plerdsus, Friday, 28 September 2007 3:42:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Plerdsus

If you added an extra "if" to your three preceding "ifs" about Rudd maybe he and Swann would consult the same Treasury Department and same Big End of Towners that Howard, Abbot and Costello would consult AND perhaps all would be well.

Basically who knows? But thats not a reason to vote for an old guy who says he won't be PM for long.

He (Howard) may decide to leave before critical decisions about the economy need to be made.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 29 September 2007 12:01:45 AM
Kevin Rudd is alluding to picking a cabinet of the best available talent to his liking.Already the union troops are getting envious and are threatening revolt.For Kevin to make such an observation in the crucial lead up to the election,reflects a basic insecurity he has in common with the electorate's perception of Labor's talent vacuum.

Does Labor have have the talent,discipline and experience to make the hard decisions in the interest of our long term collective well being? In the final analysis,these are the scales upon which both parties will be judged.It won't be a Labor whitewash.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 29 September 2007 1:12:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Getting stuck into Graham for telling us the results of a poll we all could have taken part in is strange.
His view from the other side of politics is his right, surely?
The results in my view do not lead away from the probability of a change in government.
I can not remember an opposition leading in the polls so strongly and for so long without converting those polls into election wins.
While it is very far from over, and it may yet be turned around if I was a conservative voter I would want answers from my side.
Be assured many Australians remember AWB, and the list could eat up my word quota.
How has this government turned such a mandate into such a poor polling position?
Not easy but they did it.
I ask those who reveled in John Howard's massive wins to have the same respect for voters views now.
And just a thought, the old fella ,still could do worse than say sorry I got some things wrong.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 29 September 2007 6:09:17 AM
I'd like to see some numbers, not just percentages.

http://whatthepeoplewant.nationalforum.com.au/archives/002323.html
Posted by clink, Saturday, 29 September 2007 12:28:30 PM
Well hello to RobbynH.Quote"The renters are far more pre-occupied with trying to pay their rent and are unlikely to ever own their own home."So RobbynH with slight of hand tries to sheet the blame home to the Federal Coalition.

It is the lazy,greedy Labor State Govts who have taken investors out of the market with high taxes and charges that has caused a shortage of housing thus inflating rents.NSW Labor also restricts the supply of land to maximise their profits and makes first home buyers pay for infrastructure with enormous taxes which the developers must pass on or go bust.We have the lowest production rate of houses since WW2 and it will takes years to solve even if our stupid Iemma Govt finally wakes up.Govt taxes and charges account for $170,000.00 in the end purchase price of a home.The stupid electorate voted in this farce of a Govt and like lemmings leaping over a cliff look like voting for Federal Labor.

This is how Labor Govts service their heartland.They cannot provide basic services because they are pre-occupied with empire building in their Public Service.85% of their power base comes from Public Service Unions,so why should they give a "rat's" about those who work in private enterprise?
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 29 September 2007 4:39:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cute but not even close to true, I would like to see more of this from a conservative government trapped in the spotlight of public opinion.
Worth while noting first post took offense at a bias toward conservatives late one claims the same about Labor?
Good fun but unlikely to see a poll reversal, yet or on this issue.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 29 September 2007 6:06:35 PM
Belly,just logically refute all the points I've made.Put up or shut up!
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 30 September 2007 8:36:34 PM
Graham,

Dropping interest rates while banks still hold tens of billions in fixed deposits at old higher rates needs to handled carefully, as it it can squeeze Bank profitability/margins. (I have been involved the funding of Banks) Banks manage funds/commitments that span years at different rates, it is not a simple as adjusting rates in line with RBA indications to take pressure off mortgage repayments.
Posted by Oliver, Saturday, 20 October 2007 9:12:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy