The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forget the polls, ask the hard questions > Comments

Forget the polls, ask the hard questions : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 19/9/2007

Enough with the polls - let’s talk about the kind of Australia we want our kids to live in.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Well said Merc - you've saved me valuable time
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 12:18:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Churchill once said: "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried" and unfortunately it's true. By being in a democracy, we have our elected folk making decisions which are at least in some respect election driven (and in reality, this is a very large consideration).

Note, I'm not advocating a move away from democracy.

The MPs on offer are (mostly) and insipid bunch and are thoroughly uninspiring. Where are the leaders who will actually fix things, like completely overhauling the tax system? Who are the ones who are willing to make changes for benefits that will occur in 5-10 years time, not changes governed by the electoral cycle?

I don't see any out there, which means that the hard questions that the author wishes them to consider aren't on their radar.

More's the pity.
Posted by BN, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 12:25:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that one of the highest priorities for a safe and pleasant Australia is for us to avoid the financial trap we fell into in 1894 and 1931, when our foreign debt was called in.

If this happens again, it will not be much fun for anyone.

My main concern is the remarkable similarity between Kevin Rudd and NZ Prime Minister David Longe, 25 years ago. Longe came to power when NZ was up to its ears in debt, and then played silly buggers with the US over their nuclear powered warships entering NZ ports. The upshot was that the US kicked NZ out of ANZUS, and then wall street decided it would be a great time to call in the NZ foreign debt. I am not sure, but I think NZ housing interest rates went up to around 25%.

If Rudd is elected and then plays silly buggers over recalling troops from Iraq, we could see it happen again. At least the federal government has paid off all its debt, but our private debt is heading for $600 billion and our annual payments deficit is heading for $60 billion.

One stock exchange commentator said that during the recent downturn, that you could see that that was only a tremor, as only marginal lenders like RAMS were having trouble refinancing their foreign debt. When the real one hits, it will be Westpac, National etc., that will be in this position.

Remember that if a crisis hits, there will be nothing the federal government can do, as they cannot print foreign exchange.

The reality is that we need a substantial reduction in the standard of living, particularly for the average person, so that we can make our foreign accounts sustainable and make sure there is a country left for our children.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 12:50:55 PM
I too totally support Mercurius' views. I could not put it better! Thanks!
Posted by Ginx, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 1:37:13 PM
Merc - I wish many more Australian politicians talk ike you do.

I'd like to hear them answer the hardest question of all. Are our state governments really neccessary for the most efficient delivery of health, transport, utilities, education, police and local government?

The states with their hugely expensive administrative civil services and parliaments should be dispensed with because their game is recurring cost-shifting and blaming others. They are numbingly insensitive to the calls for reform from local government.

In the forthcoming federal election, how many candidates will put their hand up for root and branch reform of government in Australia?

Do they have a vision to enact one body of consistent national law that can empower local communities accross Australia to prioratise and deliver the kind of infrastructure and services that we want?

Wishy-washy 'new Federalism,' and promising to make the Co-alition of Australian Governments (COAG) work are just cop outs. Tough decisions must be made if 'value for tax dollar' means anything.
Posted by Quick response, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 2:13:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes it would be good if these so call pollies would answer the real questions.

I tried that with greg combet but he ran and sent his heavies out and then packed up at a street fair.

Have a question about branch from last, could you clarify as i see it has to do with parties.

We do have a serious problems and it is us the people who many have the answers but pollies dont care from the parties.

For instance we should direct fund schools and hospitals and those other organisations that would prefer this.

As i have been told the states waste 40% of federal money on red tape so this would then get the funds to where they are needed.

Also about nurses if they get a wage cut, which would be 75% of them that are paid by state government then the labor states are at fault.

Like myself having asking the hard questions here is one for labor.

When is labor going to take responsibility to the corruption associated with the heiner affair.
When is rudd going to stand up and take his punishment which has been said in a government report dated 2004, for those associated with queensland government.

I have also sent an email to the attorney general saying what has happened is a disgrace and actions need to be taken.

Will labor take action against these crimes and also acknoledge the pain and suffering that the victims that have been hid by labor.

If labor cannot fix this then how can we let them have contrl over our government when it is quite obvious that they are inept.
This was also stated at the second royal commision into the centenary house affair, where the labor government leased a building from the labor party.

This was also deemed not in the interests of the people.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent Candidate for Charlton
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 19 September 2007 8:37:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy