The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > With a few well chosen words > Comments

With a few well chosen words : Comments

By Dennis Glover, published 13/9/2007

Kevin Rudd demonstrated the power of a startling speech to draw attention to a rising political talent.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Nice work ARJAY, very funny.

Dr. Livingstone, I'm not in this for any gain, unlike Rudd who had a calculated motive in misrepresenting his background. Rudd has surely by now had his halo at least a bit tarnished. Even the most devoted supporters must be aware of his extraordinary ambition, his relentless working of the phones with the media, his obfuscation over the Burke affair, his "I wasn't told" excuse for the Dawn Service, his puerile "too drunk to remember", but not too drunk to know that nothing untoward happened...

Doc. we had to listen to sycophantic drivel about Latham a while back and I for one would hate to see you make the same mistake twice.

Rudd's IR proposals are a cop-out. His Iraqi troop withdrawl policy is unlikely to be carried out, and all else from him so far mealy mouthed or merely motherhood.
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 14 September 2007 4:40:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Australians don't like the feeling of being left out, when people speak in languages they don't understand, at community social functions or gatherings. Nothing racial in that. There is definitely an anti-social behaviour going on though."

I once lived in Switzerland where it is normal for people to speak other languages, and considered polite to speak to visitors if you can in their own language. In fact anyone there who can only speak one language is considered lacking.

Those Australians who have made the effort to learn other languages can only admire him for his abilities.

Rudd has portrayed the future of Australia where multi-lingualism will be expected as part of a good education, and people will have lost their insularity and their pathetice arrogance towards non- English speakers. The old type ockers will no doubt be upset by the speech, but those with an eye to the future are thinking, at last a PM who does not embarrass us overseas by speaking only English.
Posted by logic, Saturday, 15 September 2007 4:10:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good fun! true watch the conservatives hurt! Howard told us he would stay around as long as his party wanted him.
Then refused to go when asked?
His party knows the damage tipping him into the street would do and did not.
Now John says it is not him but his party that drives the polls.
Outstanding!
We now see version 12 of the lets throw mud at Rudd story.
Let the polls talk for me.
Tapp Stu notice no one answered you? last or second last is your position in Charlton, less than 1000 votes? much less.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 15 September 2007 6:35:28 PM
Logic

Those of us truely with an eye to the future are wondering why Chinese is somehow meant to be regarded by us, that great band of unwashed old ockers, as more important than Bahasa Indonesian, Sanskrit, the Turkic languages of Central Asia or even simple old C++. :-)
Posted by keith, Saturday, 15 September 2007 6:51:01 PM
Palimpsest said:

- "Doc. we had to listen to sycophantic drivel about Latham a while back..."
There is nothing that we 'have to listen to.'

- "...and I for one would hate to see you make the same mistake twice."
What mistake is that?

- "Even the most devoted supporters must be aware of his extraordinary ambition..."
I would say anybody who aspires to be Prime Minister of Australia has extraordinary ambition.

- "...his puerile "too drunk to remember", but not too drunk to know that nothing untoward happened..."
Normally if a patron of a strip club does something 'untoward', they are forcibly removed from the premises. Strip clubs are usually strictly controlled environments. So, logically it is possible to have a deficient memory from over-drinking in such a place, but at the same time be sure that 'nothing untoward' happened.

- "...his obfuscation over the Burke affair"
The fact that dodgy businessmen hang around politicians is of no surprise to me whatsoever.

- "Rudd has surely by now had his halo at least a bit tarnished."
How childish.

- "...his "I wasn't told" excuse for the Dawn Service..."
You pretend to care about a Dawn Service that he didn't attend? Do you care that Howard and Bush have created just under 4,000 new reasons for future remembrance services?

Howard and his mate Bush have perpetrated crimes that utterly dwarf any of the petty accusations you can think of to throw at the Opposition leader. Howard should be behind bars. No question about that.

- "Rudd's IR proposals are a cop-out."
At least he didn't mess around with the IR laws in the first place.

- "His Iraqi troop withdrawal policy is unlikely to be carried out.."
At least he didn't send them there in the first place.

"...all else from him so far mealy mouthed or merely motherhood."
You seem a bit mealy mouthed too.

----

My opinion is that the article was dressed up more than David Jones at Christmas time. However I did like the bit about Downer. Let's hear his French, just for a laugh!
Posted by Dr. Livingstone, Saturday, 15 September 2007 6:59:59 PM
I see rudd is turning his backs on our indigenous people again.

Lets see
Hids sexual abuse and physical abuse in aboriginal children, but hey why worry about that the labor party will look after you.

Dont worry about the peadophiles that the Labor party hide either.

I am starting to wonder why the education union ignores this, or are they a recruiting ground.

I also find the nurses especially in WA believe in what Jonny is planning for hospitals.

Hand on its the states that are responsible and if they gave all the money that federal gave instead of only 60% then we would have better services.

And belly that is how much i will put on myself.

Labor a party for peadohile secracy and abuse.
Unions for unions not for workers as where were they for the privatisation of public transport.
Combet knew before the election I told him.

Workers will loss jobs and whos fault labors and the unions you were told.

So belly you and your pathetic mates might win but at least i stand firm for the people and not the disgusting type of people who are and as one would say are accomplaces in the disgusting treatment and deciet that you all show.

Being ex army my father ex union i am thankful that he know longer supports what labor is.

That is a predator.

Send that to kevvy.
Ill expect a summons.

Even he doesnt have any balls.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent Candidate for Charlton
Posted by tapp, Saturday, 15 September 2007 7:24:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy