The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The APEC security fantasy > Comments

The APEC security fantasy : Comments

By Brad Ruting, published 11/9/2007

The APEC security has demonstrated just how far government can go to control, instil fear and regulate the behaviour of citizens.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Thanatos,

Do you honestly believe that our snipers are that ill disciplined and under trained?

I love the fact that everyone trots out the "they could have been shot" line without consideration for the rules of engagement. I'm willing to bet that the snipers would have been given very strict instructions not to fire unless directed.

Stop blaming the Chaser guys for getting in, how about asking the Police Commissioner how they were able to get in? $170 million spent on security and a bunch of well known (especially to the political and hence the security that guards them) comedians manages to make their way to within 10 metres of GWB's hotel.
Posted by James Purser, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 5:51:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aww comeon,

No ones going to pick this one up? No one watched the Chaser? No one heard the police officer say: "do what you want mate, the road is yours" when asked if they could turn the motorcade around?
Posted by James Purser, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 10:00:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yvonne,

I always have the greatest interest in your posts and find them intelligent and thoughtful.
However, I think that if Howard (whatever one might think of him) was assassinated,
Australia would have lost its innocence. It is traumatic to have the leader of one's country
killed. It strikes at the very heart of the country ... especially at these times. A domestic assassination is one thing; an assassination carried out by another country is quite another.

As for other APEC leaders, if any had been assassinated here, Australia's reputation would have been on the line - not very good PR.

Regarding kings and their heirs - killings were "usually" dynastic and generally carried out by their nearest and dearest. I doubt very much if the common man would have been shocked, nor even cared, by such carryings-on ... unless it resulted in war.

Regards
Posted by Danielle, Sunday, 23 September 2007 3:35:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy