The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Starting point for a Muslim conversation > Comments

Starting point for a Muslim conversation : Comments

By Shakira Hussein, published 11/9/2007

Book review: Waleed Aly's book, 'People Like Us', was disappointing. I found myself longing for a greater level of engagement with people unlike us.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdEjij2KoY&mode=related&search=

Don't believe me... believe this Muslim woman......I rest my case.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 15 September 2007 7:57:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is this gentleman a member of the same Islamic association that was involved in the VCAT action against religious free speech?

Funny starting point for a conversation?

In terms of dialogue, Islam sees no need for it. They may listen, but, they will not act as there is no compulsion to change.

End game here is that we either resist Islamic demands in our Western societies and make them comply with aspects of our legal and cultural tradition, or, we backdown in the name of 'tolerance' and eventually lose the numbers game when our democracies elect themselves into a Shari'a community.

This is the period before the Siege of Jerusalem, so we can run, pull back or make a stand. Chances are we could negotiate a submissive peace, lose or overcome, however, even the Inquisition couldn't eliminate the problem and neither can the Democrats in the US.
Posted by Reality Check, Monday, 17 September 2007 12:24:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Non-Muslims are wasting their time trying to enter into dialogue with any Muslim who seeks to integrate their religious beliefs into western society.

Muslim beliefs are not rationally deduced positions – they are rationalisations of a neurotic and primitive approach to reality. All religious people indulge in certain behaviours in order to deal with elements of reality that cause them difficulty or pain. When they are frightened they pray. When they are angry they comfort themselves with the idea that justice will come in heaven. When this behaviour is challenged by non-religious people they rationalise it by claiming to be following religious beliefs. The truth is that the behaviour comes first and the rationalisations follow on. These rationalisations become enshrined in books like the Koran and the bible.

You cannot have a rational argument with people who are only concerned with rationalising their behaviour. To try and do so is to allow them to control the agenda and it gives their rationalisations a credibility they do not deserve.

We should just make sure that their behaviour does not impinge on the basic human rights of the secular society we have fought so hard to build. Entering into an argument about why they do what they do is futile.
Posted by phanto, Sunday, 14 October 2007 1:02:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy