The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Everything is possible, the impossible just takes longer > Comments

Everything is possible, the impossible just takes longer : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 4/9/2007

I’d much rather see Indigenous children collect eggs than empty beer bottles and cans.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Of course there is always the position that the success of the Hagan family stems from the strong Celtic blood of its antecedant!
Posted by Reynard, Thursday, 6 September 2007 8:47:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Country Gal,
Protecting the children , Making sure healthy food is available at a reasonable price ,Preventing alcoholism, preventing and treating mental health problems and violence ; treating those who are affected by the alcohol and drugs and giving the people hope - these are all steps that are necessary to help this neglected society back on their feet .

I have yet to fathom the reason why the Northern Territory Police Association's Recommendation that the Permit System STAY to help maintain Law and Order was disrespectfully ignored by Howard and Brough .

Is this a bit more of John Howard's Social Engineering to make them join the "mainstream" by flooding these Communities with tourists?

And will these tourists respect the alcohol and drug Bans after dark ? I think not, especially if the alcoholics do not have Treatment Facilities and programs available .

We have heard nothing about Brough's plans to tackle one of the main causes of death , violence and ill health for these communities apart from the attempted restriction of alcoho
Posted by kartiya jim, Thursday, 6 September 2007 8:54:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jim, I am certainly not giving a "well done" stamp to the government on this issue. There will be things that need to be handled better, absolutely guaranteed. But at least its a damn sight more than whats been done in the past, and that's a good start. The permit system I am not sure about. Tourists have always been able to drive through aboriginal land without a permit, so long as they stick to the public roads (which is the same for any other private property). Is there going to be much else off the roads that tourists want to see? Maybe. I do agree with your sceptisism over tourists respecting alcohol/drug bans. The penalty for tourists breaking these laws should be double what it would be for a local. That might sort a few of them out, maybe
Posted by Country Gal, Thursday, 6 September 2007 10:10:52 PM
"Teachers in discrete communities on a base salary should be remunerated if they achieve the bench marks with a sizeable boost to their pay."
I thought the article raised important principles. But the practicality of suggestions about education seems to have been distorted by the unsustainable educational practices of the neoconservatives who are currently running this world. The point of this post is to urge some harder thinking about what might be achievable in the education of all Australians in rural and remote communities. eg. Bench marks were created for city folk - and the tests are not culture free. Where are these teachers to be found? Look at an integrated community health, education and welfare way.
Posted by Charlie Bradley, Sunday, 9 September 2007 11:01:43 AM
Reynard says it could be the strong Celtic blood of Hagan's past that caused determination and success.

Wow, Reynard, we are either not good enough because we have poor white stock (us so called 'half breeds' that is) or we failed because our black blood kept our 'good white blood' back. Our only success can be based on letting our white blood take over.

Thanks for bringing us back to the 1950's with your blood line crap!
Posted by 2deadly, Monday, 10 September 2007 11:57:16 AM
Howard's' comments about Indigenous people joining the mainstream to be successful is outdated and incorrect. We never have been allowed to be left out of it. Indigenous people have been forced in both legal and politically means to be part of the mainstream culture of this nation without consent. The segregation and assimilation policies of this nation were brought about to force us to join mainstream society. It did so by ensuring the controlled approach to engaging with white society.

Although a racist policy, have a permit to travel, marry and live was a means of being functionally part of the mainstream for my grandparents. Even today, any measure to support Indigenous people in funding scholarships for work or learning are all means of ensuring that Indigenous mob are part of the mainstream.

Sadly it is not Indigenous people who reject the mainstream but the mainstream that rejects Indigenous people. The number of experiences where we are either not white enough or 'not acting white' enough to succeed counters against the opinion of not being black enough or 'acting black' enough to be a 'real Aborigine' causes me to wonder what else we need to do to be part of the mainstream.

My family were cane cutters, forcibly moved to Palm Is when work dried up and then worked hard to be successful, all while still being considered just a black family with no hope of being accepted in their home town on the mainland. Success or being part of the mainstream will never cut it for white Australia. Colour still clouds many peoples views.
Posted by 2deadly, Monday, 10 September 2007 12:10:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy