The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Australian Church, a church without martyrs > Comments

The Australian Church, a church without martyrs : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 27/8/2007

Our demise will not be marked by bloodshed but by the imperceptible erosion of all that is good and true. The market will dictate our values.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Here is an idea. Why doesn't the author of this piece of sententious, canting rubbish find a cross and get himself nailed up on it, and make sure that the media is well in attendance. Then Australia will have its own martyr and all our problems will be solved. The church in Australia is 'beginning to founder'? In fact the people of Australia are beginning to wake up - and long may we continue to do so!
Posted by GYM-FISH, Monday, 27 August 2007 11:44:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter, your article is a wake up call to the Christian denominations in Australia. But do not be despondent, there are many many people who are disillusioned with playing church, because churches have lost the plot, and do not truly live as the alternate society. Remember what Jesus said, that many would come in His name, false Christs, that is, and seek to lead His true followers astray..
Three days ago I discovered a website about Nazarene Judaism. It makes absolute sense to me in the place I am at in my journey of faith. It concerns the faith of the apostles and the early believers. These men and women, many of whom were martyred for their faith in Yaweh, through His Son, Yeshua Adoni, the Messiah, were Jews. Jesus did not come to start a new religion. The believers were followers of The Way, and as you would be aware, the word Christian was a derogatory mocking name put on them by their persecutors.
Keep up your good work. Get the people of God thinking and discussing Him and His Way.
Amber
Posted by Amber, Monday, 27 August 2007 12:11:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are plenty of martyrs of the churches in Australia.
They would be all of the kiddies that have been abused physically, sexually, and economically by the churches (of most denominations).

These are the children who become part of the machinery of the churches in their scramble to get money and power, who as mere tools, emerge from the churches deadly embrace as criminals, prostitutes and drug addicts.

For example, the Anglican Church informed a senate inquiry a few years ago that they recieved $500,000,000 annually to provide child welfare and protection services across the country- most of that is tax payer dollars.

This is a crazy situation that puts the biggest abusers in control- much like letting alcoholics run the breweries, or bank robbers the banks!

Perhaps you can recast your opinion in light of that!
Posted by Hirez, Monday, 27 August 2007 12:35:37 PM
Jesus has visited the thread....and he is using the name of HIREZ.....

well said Hirez.. if Jesus really was here today and writing, he would probably write along the lines you did.. after all, he took the pharisees and saducees to task for abuse of true faith.

While you are condemning the 'Church' you might also consider to 'promote' its founder a bit..and contrast the 'believers' with the one they are supposeD to believe IN.

That... would then be a balanced contribution :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 27 August 2007 12:50:58 PM
This is less obtuse than most of Sellick's pieces, though its revelations are sadly one-dimensional.
Whilst much of the commentary here does seem to be knee-jerk anti-christian sentiment, close analysis reveals conclusions based on the supposition that Christianity is the ultimate truth.

Therefore, there is no room for those who do not accept that. I'm afraid that is the very definition of dogmatic.
Once pared down, the simple conclusion in this article is that faith is faltering because society has stopped accepting Christianity as an absolute truth.

Whilst I see some merits in the discussion of the symptoms Sellick claims are a result of this - murder, rape etc. I certainly don't see the merit behind the central hypotheses here.

Take this ridiculous paragraph for instance: "In our education system it is commonly thought that students should make up their own minds about religion. However, education presupposes that they do not yet have minds enough to make up. If the gospel is about truth how come students are expected to decide for themselves? We do not undermine other disciplines in this way. What if we told them that they must make up their own minds about chemistry or history?"

I would be very distressed if this paragraph was taken seriously. Sellick assumes Australia is entirely Christian, however the recent census figures show that religion is on the decline - even those who count themselves christians are more likely to be considered only nominal ones.

Sellick gives no answer for those who disagree with him. We are all to accept Christianity and that is the crux of it.

Well, I for one, do not, and I'm left with no option except to deride this piece as the preachings of tunnel-visioned dogma.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 27 August 2007 1:11:29 PM
Excellent article Peter, displaying an understanding of our history that few within or outside the church comprehend.

We have indeed compromised far too much with our culture, including bowing down to the two big ruling gods: materialism and human reason (not that Christianity is against either, only the worship of same).

Yet God's plan for His creation is completely on track. Even though the Western church is decadent, with both liberals and fundamentalists captured by culture, He is able to bring the individual through it all to the place promised.

...john
Posted by john kosci, Monday, 27 August 2007 1:16:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy