The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Australia should sell uranium to India > Comments

Why Australia should sell uranium to India : Comments

By Kaushik Kapisthalam, published 23/8/2007

Australian refusal to supply uranium to India would be a short-sighted move to preserve a failed 60's nuclear order and an affront to India.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I totally agree with the post by daggit.
I also believe that we should forget the concept of nuclear energy. The risks are by for to great. Call me naive, but it seems to me that most of the money spend on various 'war efforts' and 'war on terror' could be spend on research into making current alternative energy sources more efficient and economical.
It is plain insanity to increase Uranium sales. Not only to India, but all countries. If anything we should stop sales to everybody.
Posted by Joaquin, Thursday, 23 August 2007 11:21:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
john frum,

All that development requires ENERGY. You would have to have been on holiday on the moon to have missed hearing that the world is facing an energy crisis. (The crisis has already begun in the developing world.) Nuclear power will not provide transport energy or drive the industrial agriculture which India's economic ruling elite fantasizes. The DMIC is a daydream that will evaporate as energy prices continue to escalate.

BronzeSword,

Calling me a racist is easy. Answering my arguments is the hard part. In what way is India's population growth "largely" controlled? World grain production has plateaued but India is far from self-sufficient. Where will it get its increased food requirements from as its own agriculture collapses though lack of water and fertilizer?
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Thursday, 23 August 2007 11:30:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As far as the uranium debate is concerned, I believe Australia should first reconcile what its policy on nuclear energy is.

It seems we set arbitrary limits on uranium mining with very limited facilities to allow us to process the material. Australia seems intent on straddling incompatible ideologies in an effort to delay the formation of any concrete decision.

It is time to decide whether we are or are not a nuclear country.
If we are not, do we continue to be a mine for those countries that are?

Ideologically, for many, the answer would be no. It would be a hypocritical stance to say otherwise. But what of nuclear medicine? Do we cherry pick what we want and see as beneficial, and naively assume that all the bad stuff won't come home to roost because we have, ideologically, distanced ourselves from the broader nuclear issues?

Pragmatically, for the sake of the economy the answer would be yes. We are a capitalist democracy and enjoy first world living conditions. These standards do not come from commerce that has been starved by over zealous ethical or moral restrictions over the last 220 years.

It is time for a decision one way or the other.
Posted by Craig Blanch, Thursday, 23 August 2007 12:12:31 PM
THE BIG END OF TOWN WANTS NUCLEAR ENERGY - WE NEED IT FOR WEAPONS

Craig

My sentiments exactly.

The problem with uranium in Austraalia is that we presume the nuclear power argument must be resolved. I argue that Australia should ditch the power facade and move directly to our uranium being used for Australian nuclear weapons production.

To make it more simple let's recognise nuclear energy for what it is - an enormous engineering project, of dubious economic efficiency and consumer benefit, that will profoundly benefit the US centric Big End of Town (BET).

- we have enough coal and gas in Australia (and solar is forever) to provide for Australia hundreds of years so why go for nuclear power?

- as the Government appears to be forcing the whole nuclear energy concept you can BET that taxpayers/public money will ultimately pay for the grand designs of the Government and its BET cronies. Public money has always been poured into civil nuclear projects.

Why holdup a perfectly viable nuclear weapons project while BET (and its captive Governments) uses public money to force feed us with overly expensive nuclear energy?

So I say:
- continue to sell the uranium to US, UK and France
- maintain the sales agreement with China
- sell to India
- sign the expected sales agreement with Putin/Russia at APEC in 2 weeks

But use the Government skimmed financial benefits for Australian nuclear weapons development (or purchase).

We need to adjust to THIS world in which more countries have nukes by building our own nuclear defences. We don't need to continue to follow the orders of American Presidents or the plans of big (nuclear energy) business to force profits from taxpayers.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 23 August 2007 2:14:59 PM
Did anyone else notice that free trade talks are now underway with India - a notoriously closed market?
Posted by Communicat, Thursday, 23 August 2007 4:48:34 PM
Australia should sell Uranium to India- a win-win situation. Period.

The minority opposed to it - I challenge them to stop this sale.
Posted by ecotrin, Thursday, 23 August 2007 5:48:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy