The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Haunted by economic myopia > Comments

Haunted by economic myopia : Comments

By Rachel McFadyen, published 2/8/2007

It is difficult to secure investment for research into weed problems that impact on the environment, even though it could save Australians billions of dollars.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
If such a small investment will save so much, why don't the farmers (the ones who will benefit most) pay for the investment, rather than taxpayers?

Then thay claim the research as a tax deduction, and hey presto everyone wins.

It can't be that much of a problem if the people who will benefit most don't want to support the research.
Posted by miner, Friday, 3 August 2007 10:50:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
miner, much of the problem starts on public lands (and is exacerbated by little action on public land). I think most farmers would support putting more of their own funds into it. Problem at the moment is the last 5 years of drought leave very little free funds available for survival, let alone looking into benefits that are 20+ years down the track. Basically I think there should be a dual approach - farmers AND the community should contribute to the funding, as both will benefit.

DEMOS, you rear your head again. Basically a citizen initiative woudnt solve a damn thing in a situation like this. Why dont pollies act... because the people dont care about this. The majority of the population dont graso the long term impact of this problem. It doesnt hurt their hip pocket now, so its not an issue to them. Doesnt matter whether its our current political system or a more involved one. We employ pollies because we expect them to be more long-sighted in their approach than the average Joe. Wishful thinking.
Posted by Country Gal, Friday, 3 August 2007 4:25:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A couple of weeks ago the media reported on the state of WA pastoral properties taken over by mining giants.

Though now rather vague on the contents of that article (due to my ignorance on weeds,) I recall the author and the interviewees stating that the weeds on these properties are now completely out of control and they will never be eradicated.

Pastoralists had been responsible in the past and had diligently kept the weed problem under control until the miners took over.

Seems like it's the same old story - mining and biodiversity make poor bed fellows and our sycophantic, industry aligned pollies will continue to look the other way, rather than efficiently regulate the big end of town!
Posted by dickie, Sunday, 5 August 2007 6:06:15 PM
This forum is about successful as any other on Aus weed problems, nine posts. Why are weeds a neglected species?
They do best on neglected land I presume. Easy to recognise weeds on roadsides are targeted by councils, but this is rarely where the major weed problems lay, lie.
They are arriving at ten times the rate they are being addressed.
Easy sollutions are rare and required ongoing research to just stay behind, let alone eliminate them.
The post is a sad reflection on our priorities. The miserable sum being asked for continuence in this research dissappoints not just the researchers but any who are concerned for the enviroment.
Must we wait for a crisis eg the cane toad before govt retracts its nose from it's belly button and addresses a problem so important?
I congratulate the author on at least attempting to bring the problem to the notice of nine reply posters.
pathetic isn't it.
fluff
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 7 August 2007 10:42:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy