The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Noel: a man of words and action > Comments

Noel: a man of words and action : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 23/7/2007

Noel Pearson is a handsomely robust, charismatic man who commands our attention.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hear, hear Stephen Hagan.

Having just spent time at an Aboriginal Medical Service in the NT, I can tell you that the views of Aboriginal Health Workers and doctors are much more aligned with Noel Pearson's views than the bleating and carping of the pie-in-the-sky sociologists and hand-wringing white commentariat that long for still more 'consultation.' As for the professional aboriginal industry that thrives on the public purse, while vociferously objecting to anyone's actually trying to DO something to fix the problems out there.. well it is beneath contempt. Hating John Howard (and by association, Noel Pearson) and reflexively naysaying anything he comes up with, is not the answer.

The time for consultation has come and gone and led nowhere. Howard certainly had political motivations behind this last move but it doesn't make the act itself wrong.
Posted by stickman, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 11:32:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Respect and Recognition of our fellow citizens and peers (regardless of differences) is a big thing for Australia.

It is terrific to read one valuable person acknowledge the work of another, as you have here with Mr Noel Pearson, Stephan. I have watched your own forum papers, and I have often felt encouraged by you... and the ways you stimulate our thoughts on all sorts of things through your topics and many (do by :-) examples.

Thank You Stephan, Good Work and I agree with much of what you say, and especially the way you say it.

It is this kind of dialogue that matters the very very most.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 3:40:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
About the only people that I know of that don't respect Noel Pearson is the loony left. He speaks to much truth for their liking.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 5:22:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is good that Noel is speaking out loudly of late but the disgusting behaviour in aboriginal communities has been obvious for at least 20 years.
The real problems aren't going to be fixed until aborigines are subject to the same laws and expectations as other Australians and how is that going to happen?
Posted by citizen, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 7:47:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suppose Noel Pearson has long asked himself, "what must I do to extract even the most wretched concessions from this dominant culture?"

After years of frustration, he seems to have made the strategic adaptation from adversarial activism to dignified counsel. Perhaps his greatest accomplishments may have been to recognise and act upon the limitations of the Howard Government.

To this end, he has won a $48million pledge for welfare reform trials in Hopevale, Aurukun, Mossman Gorge and Coen. He has also managed to convince the federal government to adopt elements of his reform model, linking school attendance and welfare accessibility, into its own much publicised NT intervention.

Nevertheless, removing the freedom to expend welfare payments on vice might be something that should be applied throughout Australia, rather than solely within aboriginal communities, otherwise, it will surely encourage an influx of indigenous drinkers and gamblers to the fringes of non-indigenous communities, where such rigorous policing does not apply.

Perhaps Noel Pearson has very cleverly encouraged the federal government to take responsibility for the urgent protection of children, so that (it) must inevitably address the underlying conditions that have brought about such social decline through chronic inequity?
Posted by Neil Hewett, Thursday, 26 July 2007 8:04:36 AM
Well Steve, perhaps next time you see NP in the airport you should give him a big sloppy kiss instead.

I won't stand in your way.
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 28 July 2007 1:42:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy