The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Too alarmed to be alert > Comments

Too alarmed to be alert : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 16/7/2007

Some Muslim-baiting media outlets incite so much sectarian hysteria that we are left too alarmed to be alert.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The Murdoch Press is virtually as inciteful to violence as any jihad-advocating Mullah - in many ways,more so - not least because of reach.
Posted by K£vin, Monday, 16 July 2007 8:11:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kyle Aaron,

You raise an interesting point.

When I first saw Haneef had given his sim card to his cousin it struck me as suspicious. I would never give my sim card to anyone for the simple reason that if they ran up thousands of dollars in calls I'd have to pay.

But then it struck me this could be a pre-paid card with some credit left. In that case Haneef's action looks quite innocent.

So I guess it really depends on what sort of sim card and plan we're talking about. If it's a pre-paid then I think the AFP are probably barking up the wrong tree.

If it's a sim card registered to Haneef with no credit on it and for which he received a regular account then it looks as if there was an intention to deceive
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 16 July 2007 8:20:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All this furore clearly demonstrates the pitfalls of multiculturalism doesn’t it. Why should our sons and daughters be over in these muslim countries dying when it wouldn’t be necessary for them to be there if we didn’t have hostile members of these warring Arab tribes living amongst us.

Its like Woolworths reserving the right to search all bags,the innocent and the guilty, because they have no way of knowing who the actual thieves are. So we in the
West must regard all muslims as a potential enemy agent as we have know way of knowing the innocent from the guilty.

A law should be bought in that the families of any sucide bombers or terrorists who are Australian or London citizens and commit terror attacks in those countries should be deported. This would act as a deterent to would be terrorists knowing that their families especially their children would face the consequences of their actions even if the bombers themselves are dead. This would be a common sense measure to try to see if it puts a stop to a lot of these attacks. The law however often doesn’t allow for commonsense, if it conflicts with perceived justice .
The west puts the safety of its own people and children at risk in order to deliver justice to the families of enemy agents.
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 16 July 2007 9:11:18 PM
Kyle Aaron, very funny posts - thanks.

I'm wondering if the US will follow suit and charge people who supplied material to others who later were involved in terrorist activities. I seem to recall that they have in the past supported Osama and others so there could be a few nervous CIA types around if GW follows our lead. Could get interesting.

As for the article, Irfan thanks for the insights. Then on reflection I have to remember one other poster who keeps telling us how bad mossies much be because of all the violence in the Quran unlike his own sacred book which has no violence at all (on page 1285 paragraph 3 if you check the small print) and I get confused again.

On the one hand we have those pushing the idea that all mossies have come here to set up an oppressive islamic state and on the other hand Irfan pointing out that many have fled oppressive governments and are not exactly desperate to live under another one.

Worst of all we have those many mossies who insist on living quite normal lives and almost never go around killing infidels such as myself. They just do strange stuff like shopping, taking the kids to the park, working and as one strange christian fellow pointed out some time ago do evil things such as driving vans, praying and fasting. Can't I just be a lert rather than a larmed (what ever that is)? I read once that the world needs more lerts.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 16 July 2007 9:40:35 PM
Stevenmeyer,

There must have been a bloody lot of credit on that 10 month old prepaid SIM card. And prepaids also have to pay for access and that is on a monthly basis. Or at least it used to be so.

To others decrying the Governments revocation of Haneef's visa.

The Government still presunes Haneef innocent of any crime. They also feel that since he has undoubtly had some association, whether innocent association or not, then that association makes him not a fit person to be allowed in this country. I don't understand why most who are critical, especially the civil rights groups, of our Governments action overlook that huge distinction. The Government's action is fit and proper and it is aimed at protecting us.

Kylie and Aaron,

Here's a question for you.
Say Haneef had been not a doctor but a pilot. Would you trust him to fly you in an aeroplane?
Posted by keith, Tuesday, 17 July 2007 7:56:47 AM
Just what the world needs, more lerts.
Posted by aqvarivs, Tuesday, 17 July 2007 8:34:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy