The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Live Earth and the cure for climate change > Comments

Live Earth and the cure for climate change : Comments

By Alan AtKisson and Steven Rockefeller, published 10/7/2007

Climate change is not the only global emergency. We also have growing poverty, over-consumption, challenges to peace and human rights, and the degradation of natural systems.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
For the dummies, just as it is people carrying umbrellas that cause rain so it is with human co2 emissions changing climate. It's just so obvious. lol

Blind trust ultimately relates to the worship mindset where the desire to believe is easy with easy funding and the exacto opposite to the love to find out, measure, observe and gain understanding. Trust can only be earned and when one examines the big bang religion through the likes of Einstein, Hawking, Davies, Smoot, Mather, with their belief in a nonsensical expanding universe I just see, and even from when I was a thirteen year old, a group of high priests doing their best to design their own universe. The public through a compliant media swallow this old, faked up, gravity-only, closed cosmological model that is simply impossible, is without evidence and obviously the greatest embarrassment of 20th century science.

Now we are finding a similar arrogant position concerning climate. One of the glaring oversights with these new high priests of humans causing global warming is an assumption that our largest plasma discharge formation the sun doesn't do anything. Just how terribly wrong can one really be? Whilst we get "teddy" (god) wars and big bang stooopidities it doesn't get any more anthropocentric than "dirty" human co2 emissions causing global warming.

These two nonsense beliefs simply thrive on absurdity after absurdity, all shrouded by incomplete or faked up model projections rather than on observation. Where models disgree with observation, the observation data gets fudged. As this shonky process gains momentum, science faces a diminishing role in public policy.
Posted by Keiran, Tuesday, 10 July 2007 6:01:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps the climate change cynics should grab a copy of High & Dry. This is by far the one of the most important books to come out about climate change. For a Liberal party insider to spill the beans and write a book subtitled John Howard, climate change and the selling of Australia's future tells me that the times may be changing. This is a damning read of green policy and how national interest has been sold out to a small group of our biggest polluters.
http://www.highanddry.com.au/
Posted by Sharben, Tuesday, 10 July 2007 6:23:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent stuff Alan and Steven.

I have often expressed the same sort of concern on this forum. That is; all this new-found concern about climate change desperately needs to morph into action in the bigger picture, with an urgent global effort to direct humanity onto a sustainable footing.

At present I see the climate change issue as being a distraction to what really matters. It is consuming the time and energy of many thousands or perhaps millions of concerned people around the world, who should be putting that energy into broader sustainability issues.

China and India are just simply going to overwhelm any efforts that we make in Australia or in the western world to reduce CO2 emissions. Even with China’s best efforts at improving efficiencies, the sheer scale of their growth is just going overwhelm any per-capita improvements.

The cause is lost. We’ll just have to live with the consequences.

Besides, the continued rapid increase in fossil fuel usage, leading to the exhaustion of oil and later coal as economically viable energy sources sooner rather than later, may very likely be much less harmful to the global environment than a long drawn-out usage of fossil fuels.

Even the most amazingly brilliant efforts to reduce CO2 emissions are only likely to slow the rate of consumption (or more likely, they will simply slow the rate of increase in consumption), which will simply draw out the rate of high emissions into a longer timeframe.

Let it all peak and crash quickly! Just bloody well let it happen and stop farting around thinking we have any meaningful control over it.

It is time to redirect our efforts.

We CAN do a whole lot more about sustainability, before we are forced to…..can’t we?

Or is that just toooo big to handle as well?
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 10 July 2007 9:17:33 PM
Sharben, as an environmentalist all my life I don't see myself as "a climate change cynic". Far from it in fact and that is where we see your problem. The periods of global warming in the 20th century are hardly unique. It seems they have arrived pretty much on schedule, coming from a cooler period in earth's history. To assume now is the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that our largest plasma discharge formation the sun is somehow perfect, constant and regular, is all part of your problem and an absurdity.

Stopping climate change and making it somehow perfect, constant and regular simply serves to illustrate quite well the anthropocentric mindset where we are expected to understand that all humans exhale carbon with original sin. lol It is such a ridiculous notion when you consider that carbon creates a greening and healthy environment and where high carbon dioxide has never prevented subsequent cooling. CO2 doesn't drive climate change.

When the total concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is just 0.054% it represents a significantly minuscule amount but when humans contribute much less than 1 % of that very significantly minuscule amount, then to consider that humans are causing global warming is a monumental error and an absurdity.

Just wish people who are concerned about the environment could somehow separate a few issues that relate more to power, politics and making money by selling alarmist story books.
Posted by Keiran, Tuesday, 10 July 2007 10:49:09 PM
Yes I agree completely with you. We have to find solutions now or it will be too late
http://saveourbushland.blogspot.com/
Posted by Elena R., Wednesday, 11 July 2007 12:29:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree completely with you. If we don't find a solution now it will be too late.
http://saveourbushland.blogspot.com/
Posted by Elena R., Wednesday, 11 July 2007 12:31:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy