The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Learning the lessons > Comments

Learning the lessons : Comments

By Jack de Groot, published 12/7/2007

To ensure long-term sustainable development you need the active participation of Indigenous communities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The torpor that these kind of wellmeaning but platitudinous contributions induce is a serious health hazard for readers of OLO. There should be a warning sign - "Do not attempt to drive after reading this".

Mr DeGroot says much that is bleeding obvious. But at least he acknowledges that "Mobilising the power of the Australian Government to tackle this issue, as John Howard has done, must be lauded".

The fact that the Solomons intervention has not been 100% successful is not really the point. Many people were made safe, and lives were saved.

Establishing security in many Indigenous communities here is equally important.

The dogma that "To ensure long-term sustainable development, however, you need active participation of communities from the beginning" is not correct. The Marshall Plan and the reconstruction of Japan were not gentle consultative projects. The parallels may not be extensive, but the lesson is clear.

Of course, "local jobs" are essential, but it is not always necessary "to get local people involved in planning appropriate infrastructure and services". I do not want to have to be involved in putting streetlights in my street, collecting the town's garbage or policing violent incidents in my neighbourhood. These are normally things undertaken by the appropriate authorities who have responsbility for them and are paid to do them, and so it should be in Aboriginal communities. So much the better if locals get some employment along the way.

"Locking up perpetrators and sending Indigenous kids off to [boarding] schools" may not "solve the broader problems", but it sure beats leaving some kids in the situations that they are currently in.

We can all agree that we should "take a long-term approach and tackle all ... forces for marginalisation", but here, as in the Solomons, much depends on the responses and efforts of the oppressed communities themselves. We can't do everything for people, or undertake their struggles.
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Friday, 13 July 2007 1:52:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LOL Dan, that is a good one.

Dan you do seem confused though...we need a Marshall Plan but it is up to the communities themselves to sort the problems out? interesting view of how the Marshall Plan was implemented...

It's these type of 'cherry picking' posts that do little to actually further any debate and have you ever noticed how users of the concept of 'dogma' are the ones who often offer nothing but.

Of course Dan's point, "I do not want to have to be involved in putting streetlights in my street, collecting the town's garbage or policing violent incidents in my neighbourhood" is correct. i would suggest you do though want to ensure that streetlights are not shining in your front window, you know what night the garbage is being collected and you are not going to be blamed for contributing to the violent incident because of your family connections.

The bigger problem with Howard's approach is that it seems to be a large government investment of time and resources in order to devolve the responsiblity of Government in taking care of Indigenous Australians...It is a complete paradox that is likely to lead to more dependence and not less.

I think De Groot is right, that to ensure that this process is successful, you do have to have the cooperation and participation of local communities, otherwise it will all fall over and the money/resources/effort will be wasted.
Posted by johnT, Friday, 13 July 2007 11:07:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks JohnT ... well ... it was late at night ...

Yeah - we need a Marshall (Brough? Rudd? Pearson?) Plan, but ultimately, over time, it is up to the communities themselves to renovate and adapt their culture, build new civil institutions, develop and adopt new social norms, govern and run the infrastructure provided by the Brough or Rudd Plan etc. That is, they have to build the superstructure.

'cherry picking' posts? I plead guilty, and beg for mercy.

However, as you have no doubt noticed, most of the authors and posters have more opinion than fact, or are only interested in obscure religious, philosophical or semantic debates, or want to fill up blogs with reactionary opinions or progressive drivel that is obvious. Besides, there are only 350 words allowed.

'dogmatic'? I would prefer to think that I am only opinionated and innocently arrogant.

The streetlights are shining in my front window, so I did what Aboriginal tenants do - I put up curtains. I ask or observe what night the garbage is being collected. Like my Aboriginal co-worker, I call the cops when my sons play up.

How is Howard's move devolving responsibility?

Of course De Groot is right, that to ensure that this process is successful, you ultimately do have to have the cooperation and participation of local communities, otherwise it will all fall over and the money/resources/effort will be wasted.

But not right now. Now is the time for forceful and effective action.

Thanks for the chat.
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Friday, 13 July 2007 12:58:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy